Posting Top

Page 5 of 5
Dan C wrote:

And you are a kaner, which is much worse than an idiot, and besides, the logic of the poster is quite on target. If you're actually in posession of any memory, AND were intereseted in that post, you would already know what's in it. You're probably one of those who reads everything just looking for an excuse to asc kanish again. Typical of troll activities, actually, only more of a bottom-feeder.

Actually, there was. It was top posting. Read up on a little history; it's interesting.

Apparently he knows more than you do, that's quyite apparent, and can also think for himself.

Because he has an excellent newsreader; one which is many times more functional, controllable, and current than yours. Show me a perfect newsreader and I'll show you a fraud. Because YOU like to "follow" someone instead of think for yourself doesn't mean anyone else, any period, has to, least of all the poster or myself.

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 14:57:53 -0400, Pop wrote:

Neither of you morons knows the first thing about logic.

There's your "logic" at work, huh? How do you arrive at the conclusion that I can't think for myself, based on what I said there?

LOL! You're completely clueless. Outhouse Excuse is a viral-infected security breach just waiting to happen. Any serious computer user knows that.

There you go again with that stuff. How on earth do you come up with that? What have I done that indicates to you that I don't think for myself. Try to stay on track, will ya?

Sure. Right.
Linux Registered User #327951
There still aren't any rules. Just frustrated little dorks who like to tell other people what to do. They've been failing at it for years.
Do what you want to do.

than
then

MC wrote:

Same here. It's quicker and more efficient, especially if you've folloed the thread right along. For the most part however, most newsgroups prefer bottom posting, but the -best- way to post is inline, as I am doing here. You're supposed to trim out the non-relevant parts of the post, leaving only the part you're replying to, for the best clarity. Bottom posting is next "best" (not in my opinion, but ...) and top posting is sometimes frowned upon. In an unmoderated group such as this, there really is no -best-method and there are no specific FAQs made available to posters to read, and if one is recommended somehow, it's never posted as such until they want to use it to back up their fanspastic claims about what's good and what's bad.

Actually, there were rules when _newsgroups_ first started, and it was top posting. Newsgroups at that time were specialized and pariticpants knew what most threads were about, or they bothered to find out if they needed to understand it more. RFC 1855 at http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html says it pretty well, amongst a couple of other ones, and an FYI. RFC = "Request for Comment" but most today want to use them for gospel, even though most of htem haven't been updated in ten years or more. An RFC becomes an FYI once it's accepted, and then might, never does anymore, become a written standard. Most of the fanspastics who complain about posting methods are pretty ignorant of such things but it's worth knowing just from a historical prospective. There's lots of good info at faq.org; worth checking out, IMO.
In the end, IMO, the proper etiquette is to "do as others are going". OE unfortunately missed the boat on setting Replies for top posting only. There is an OEQuoteFix program that'll fix that, and also add the colored fererences so you can tell at a glance who said what. It works rather well, actually.
<blatherskite blather removed for obvious reaons>
For the spastics out there who are going to actually LOOK to see what my client is, you're right: It's Mozilla. It comes up short in a lot of places compared to OE, but at the same time it's got a couple of things I like when I'm going into crapfested territories like the kaners and fanspastics like to try to create. Usually I use OE but chose to use Moz today. So, it's the spastic's problems, not mine. I'm quite happy with my arsenal of tools.
HTH,
Pop