A propos of nothing

We've just bought an amazingly cheap shower bath and screen from Grahams.

It came on a pallet - the bath was balanced on one end with vertical supports to hold the side panel and bath screen.

Which is all very nice (although bulkier than expected).

What did impress me was that both the pallet and supporting structure were built ,of far better quality wood than you get in the sheds. One upright was almost knot free with nice parallel grain.

So how can they get decent wood for throwaway items like this and sell crap to the general public?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

If they use inferior timber for their crates, which then disintegrate en route, then that's their problem. Not yours

If you buy inferior timber from a shed to build a fence, and your fence falls down, then that's your problem. Not theirs. Obviously you should have splashed out a further £50 on preservative etc etc etc.

michael adams

michael adams

Probably good luck more than intent.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

As Mr Adams says, but the cheap bath is specified by Grahams. The decent packing is specified by the bath manufacturer who doesn't want thousands of cracked baths coming back.

Also they've probably sold all the wonky wood to B&Q separately so they're just left with the good stuff which no-one in Britain will pay for. So they might as well use it for packing.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Similar here; years ago I was unpacking a shower screen and door set, and became aware the wooden framework protecting it was not the usual cheap shit. It was Polish, iirc, and was mortised/tenoned joints, nicely planed and worth keeping. I've only just finished using the wood, as I knew it would be handy for something.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon