A really cool day is a wooddorker's life...

Today was a really good day in Northern California.

After finishing two days of GOOD business meetings, I drove up through the Sonoma County countryside, through the redwood rainforest along the Navarro River. I got to the Pacific Coast, just south of the town of Mendocino after dark, but the night was clear, and the moon was reflecting off of the river and the surf was breaking softly at the mouth of the river. A Kodak moment. Made my way north to Fort Bragg, and checked in to my motel. Slept for 11 hours. (Almost a gloat in itself!)

It was one of those magical days without fog, which the locals say happen all too seldom. I'm 3 of 5 in my last trips there. At 8 am, I met my friend Dan at his shop. Dan is a chairmaker of some repute, who trained at College of the Redwoods, and stayed on. He showed me his shop, gave me a quick tutorial on greenwood chairmaking, and introduced me to some houseguests. He rents a room to a young Swedish woodworking student at the college, and the fellow's parents were there, so we visited for a bit, and got the tour of the various 'on display' pieces they'd made.

The point of the visit was for me to purchase some tan oak, which is a native-to-this-portion of the world species with little to no current commercial market. Dan had done, with College of the Redwoods, a class on kiln-drying, and now the output was for sale. We spent about 90 minutes, unloading a portion of the kiln, and selecting boards. Another set of lessons and guidelines on selecting rough lumber for figure, grain, stability, etc. More teaching on small kiln operation theory and practice. Better understanding of smaller than typical commercial scale wood harvesting, etc. And about 150 bd ft of some very nice lumber, at a very reasonable price.

While I was in town, I dropped in to visit with Star Supply, the current domain holder of Shellac.net (I don't know the history, and it's not my business.) I met Ann, who has run the place for decades, and she was very sorry to have to disappoint me, and have me wait for three to four weeks for more of the dewaxed platinum, made famous here by the previous owner of said shellac domain (and the fellow responsible for my buying that 24" Stanley monster in my shop ;-)) Nice people, making a living in an out of the way corner of the world that thrives on wood working.

The weather was great, and I drove home over the mountain to Willits, and down 101 (175 miles) with the windows down, and the CD player up. Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Lyle Lovett make pretty good company. The trees, the orchards and the vineyards were in glorious color under the autumn sky. The truck ran fine, and wasn't at all overloaded, like some of our Canadian friends have been occasionally known to do. Back by 4 pm, my wife even cooked dinner.

As has been said here recently: "Life is good!"

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

sounds more like an ideal weekend!

Reply to
mac davis

P What city do you live in? I love the Mendocino coast. My sister used to have a house up there and I used to get slabs of old growth redwood. max

Reply to
max

max wrote in news:BDC18724.34237% snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net:

I live in Martinez, on the edge of Pleasant Hill, the town where I grew up.

My mother's family came to the Mendocino Coast in the 1840's. Manchester, Point Arena and Gualala. It is one of those magical areas.

My grandfather always warned us to be careful of some of the folks living on the 'cash economy' up there, however. They could/can be pretty protective of their crops.

We have a picture somewhere of my great grandfather, or maybe his father, with a mule, and a redwood log at least as thick as he was tall. Tough old fella, he was.

I've project or two I'd like to take on, when I can find some of that reclaimed redwood. There are a couple of sources to track down, but not tonight.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

mac davis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And has been, in times past. My dear wife, however, has a strep infection which the drugs haven't completely remedied yet. She wasn't going along this time.

But she has gotten to know all of the quilt shops on the route, from previous trips. ;-)

And when she goes, we tend to drive her car, which has room for quilt stuff, but no room for lumber!

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Patriarch notes:

Another possible source:

Charlie Self "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing." Redd Foxx

Reply to
Charlie Self

OK, that's all well-and-good, but don't tell me you were in Fort Bragg and you didn't look up Ron Hock? Of all the nerve!!

Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) And what about Krenov?

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

You tipped your hand too soon. Now I *know* this is fantasy :^).

I'd never heard of tan oak before. A bit of spelunking:

: An evergreen tree (Lithocarpus densiflorus) native to California and Oregon, having leathery leaves, erect male catkins, and tannin-yielding bark. Also called tanbark.

They're being attacked by fungal disease:

*And* beetle infestations:
"Recently, Mendocino Redwood Company (MRC) announced plans to reopen its Willits sawmill and hire 25 workers to process tan oak into hardwood flooring. At first glance, this seems like a good idea, creating new jobs and increasing company revenues while eliminating "weed" trees that are supposedly crowding out redwoods and Douglas firs.

"Tan oak is a native tree that is part of the natural mix of species in redwood/Douglas fir forests. One of the plants that revegetates bare ground following natural events like fires, tan oak also serves to hold steep slopes together after they have been clearcut, and to provide wildlife habitat and other benefits."

It looks like this species is under assault from all directions. What I didn't find is what it looks like. Can you describe it?

You should go there more often. Looks like you're treated like a part-time student!

Ah, so you like beautiful music also.

Well, maybe not... ;^)

Boy, I'd say.

Reply to
Joe Wells

Martinez?? I may have to stop and steal some of that Fort Bragg lumber when I visit my kid in Benicia.. lol

Reply to
mac davis

I rode motorcycles in another life (past marriage, etc.) and used to love riding in that area... Nice trip to take the wife on, and maybe if you stay at a B&B, she'll let you take the truck!

Reply to
mac davis

I wonder if that might be where they get that playground chip stuff that they used to call "tan bark" or maybe "tanbark"?

Reply to
mac davis

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m29.aol.com:

Thank you, Charlie. I didn't know about these folks.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Conan the Librarian wrote in news:cni74q$2geu$ snipped-for-privacy@news.swt.edu:

I actually thought about going to see Ron, but didn't. I decided that the small list of inconsequential things I 'needed' was served pretty well by mail order.

As for bothering St. James, let's just say that his reputation precedes him. I'd love to listen to him in some more formal setting, however.

There will be other days. I'm trying to arrange to take a chair making class from Dan, when my commitments allow. And we usually go up for the CR student show in early February.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Joe Wells wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com:

The commercialization efforts, for a number of reasons, didn't go too well. There are no current efforts to exploit this resource on a commercial scale. Hundreds of thousands of board feet already harvested were sold at significant loss, and diverted into lower value use. It's a shame, as it makes great flooring, and I could use 1500 sq ft or so...

The lumber country is one of the most highly politicized areas, per capita, in the state. It seems extremely difficult to have a rational, moderate discourse between parties. The fact that there are large numbers of counter-culture cannabis growers out in the backwoods seems to be a factor as well...

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

mac davis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That stuff is mostly bark, but not from this tree. Primarily conifer.

Tan oak was a major source of vegetable based tannin, until around the turn of the twentieth century. Then other processes and sources made the economics less attractive.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Redwood is primarily used for the chunks/chips that are used because the redwood has a chemical in it to try and suppress other species seeds from germinating. max

Reply to
max

max wrote in news:BDC21E71.3438B% snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net:

I think, but am not sure, that the bark from Sierra pines (jefferson, or 'vanilla' pine is typical) is also used. Tends to chunkiness, rather than the stringyness, that redwood bark often shows.

And sometimes, you want the plant suppression, and other times, you don't.

Around here, the tree services will bury you with 'the mix of the day', for free, so they don't have to cart it off somewhere. 8" of that stuff does wonders for weed suppression. ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 05:57:01 GMT, patriarch calmly ranted:

Man, you drove all the way up 101 to Bragg? That's a long, long trip. I did it a couple years ago from the northern end, then hit I-5 back.

I hit fog on the coast and we waited in it for half an hour while the road crew (constantly making the Coast Highway safe all year) played their paving games. It's a beautiful area in the clear.

So was this a trip to a friend's shop or an actual class you took there, Glenn? (Cool either way.)

That's the way to buy lumber. You suck. (Whatever the price.)

Is O'Deen still miffed at them?

I stopped at the drive-through redwood tree in Willits but my truck was too wide to go through without taking the mirrors off. A Toyota pickemup made it and a Queen Vic made it with 1 less usable mirror. Those are good tunes for the most part. (I don't know about Lovett 'cuz I haven't heard much of his music at all. 1 movie tune?) I took that road from Willits to the coast at full speed. THAT was fun. A few cars that were on it let two of us pass and we played the corners all the way. I probably lost about 1,000 miles worth of tread on that run, but it was a real blast.

That's a Roger, Over.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:12:01 GMT, patriarch calmly ranted:

Next time, take the truck and include a large suitcase for the quilt stuff. win/win, wot?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

SWMBO's comment on this was: "_A_ suitcase? Nononononono." In my experience you're gonna need a steamer trunk.

(She's sitting at her computer behind me logged into the quilting newsgroup.)

--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Reply to
rcook5