Portable AC questions

A single-hose unit uses air from within the room to cool its condenser, and then vents it outside. This air is replaced by hot air from outside or other rooms (due to the negative pressure inside the room), thus reducing the unit's effectiveness. Wikip

Reduced it compared to what? If instead of air from elsewhere in my house, it used air from outside, that air is hot too. Hotter than the air in my house, at least during the day time, no? If it's below 72 outside, I'll open the window. (Yes, I know that lets the humidity in, but I've been known to do it anyhow.)

Also the article distinguishes "Hose systems, which can be monoblock or air-to-air, are vented to the outside via air ducts. The monoblock type collects the water in a bucket or tray and stops when full. The air-to-air type re-evaporates the water and discharges it through the ducted hose and can run continuously."

Here's a place where they should be referring to reduced effectiveness, right? Re-evapping the water has to be inefficient, yes? Can't I just use one that colllects the water and also has a drain, and drain it to the shower drain in the next room? Or if that won't work, my whole room overhangs the first floor by about a foot. That's where the cable tv comes in, under the overhang into the closet. I can drill another hole an inch from the cable tv and run a hose out of that, right? Just let it dangle or drill a hole in the downspout and run it into that, then seal around the hole.

Last year I didn't mind no AC, only 8 really hot days, but this year I've been dreaming that it's hot, even when it's not. Maybe I should take precautions.

Reply to
micky

I think they re-evap the water to the outside in the air that is discharged outside. As to efficiency, I tried one of those ones that uses air from the room to cool the condenser and then exhaust it outside. It cost me as much to run that 12,000 BTU unit to cool a single room as it was costing to cool 4 rooms with a 36,000 BTU central unit (it was broken, that's why I hooked up the little unit till the big one was fixed). The reduction in efficiency is due to it using the air it just cooled to cool its condenser down and then exhausting that air outside. It's the same basic thing as trying to cool your house by leaving the door of your refrigerator open. how well do you think that would work?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Compared to a typical central AC, window unit, or mini-split obviously. None of those pull hot outside air into the house as part of the cooling process.

If instead of air from elsewhere in my

Why? The heat used to evaporate the water is the very heat that you're trying to pump out of the building.

Reply to
trader_4

Yes, I was confused about that. Sorry. I may read it again to find the exact part that confused me, but that would probably bore all of you, so I don't expect to report on it.

Ashton, you may be right about the electric costs, but if I only use it for 8 nights, or even 15, that won't matter too much. . It's good that you mentioned it for the sake of others considering using it all summer. (Rebel was very happy with his but didn't comment on cost.)

Also, I have a friend who had one of these things to lend me last summer, and he'll still lend it to me this summer. I guess the big difference is that I've been having dreams that I'm hot, waking up very hot, until I sit up and find that it's not hot in the room. If this can happen when it's not hot, it may be much worse when it is hot. If I'm wrong, so much the better.

One year I looked into going to movies during hot days, but it's never hot in the basement, where the computer is now. And I've thought about sleeping in the back yard, but I'm sort of hooked on the radio. I just bought a Sandisk Clip Sport, and it has a radio and a timer, and plays through earbuds, not a speaker that could bother my neighbor**.

**Although if it's so hot I'm sleeping outside, they'll all have their AC on and windows shut.

Yes, some day I will replace my AC and my furnace (which works but is old), but not this year. In fact I can't even get to the furnace anymore. A week ago a rack I made near the ceiling 30 years ago fell down, letting all the long thin things like rake handles fall on the floor in front of the furnace. I have to dig through them to get to the two pieces of rack so I can put it up again.

Reply to
micky

We have a single hose (SoleusAir) 12K unit that we use to keep the house co mfortable during the hot sticky spells in WI. This unit removes water by ul tra-sound...keeping the hose short will also keep some heat from radiating back into the room. I'm venting ours' through a 6" vent pipe, so it is next to the wall and I can still open the window. (I had to wire a circuit for it though...it would trip a standard 15A after a few minutes)

Reply to
bob_villa

I only mention this because its really a big issue here.

I have some elderly friends who refused to get AC, when they bought a new f urnace. costs too much to install, too much to operate, were older should o f done it years ago when we could of gotten good use of it, noisey. etc etc . their list of why nots was endless.

well a few years ago in 90+ hot weather the one had a mini stroke that haun ts him till this day..... it left him with dementia, he had no problems til l the night he saw the big football players enter his room to beat him up:(

now I have another friend who wants to save money. and dont get me wrong th ats always a good idea.

however i believe he is putting him and his entire family at risk....

all to save a buck.

besides which AC is a real positive when home sale time comes.....

dont look at it as a expenditure, look at it as a investment

Reply to
bob haller