Key copying in the 22nd century

Made copies of keys at Home Depot a couple days ago.

Wow.

He puts the key in the slot and on the screen it says 66, the blank he needs (for a standard Kwikset key).

Then he hands me back the key, and makes two copies without having my key in his possession!!

Talk about computers or microprocessors!!

Tested them today. Neither fit, but it sure was cool.

Reply to
micky

It might have looked cool, but if neither fit, the process is worthless. Around here they still use the old method and they work 99% of the time.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

By the way, this is the 21st century, not the 22nd .....

The 20th century ended at midnight on Dec 31, 1999. The 21st century will end at midnight on Dec 31, 2099.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

I know, but I think their high-tech method of copying keys may be working by the 22nd century. That's why I put it that way.

Since you started the nippicking, this assumes either there was a year zero or the "first century" was 99 years.

What are the first 10 numbers? 1 to 10. the first 100? 1 to 100.

Reply to
micky

Its all explained here:

Jerry.Tan

Homer is dyslexic and transposed the key numbers?

Reply to
R. P. McMurphy

You can always take a picture of the key and send that to the internet company that makes keys. Send them 2 pictures (front and back) and in 2 days you will have a new key.

There was a story on the TV news here a while back trying to work up a scare about thieves using it to break in. I can't worry too much about a thief that has access to my keys and is planning that far in advance. Most thieves around here use the old number 10 key. One kick with their number

10 shoes and the door opens.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Actually, you're a year off. The 21st century starts in 2001. The 22nd century starts in 2101. Consider that there's no year zero.

BTW, I'd prefer it your way. Reality doesn't cooperate.

Reply to
Sam E
[snip]

0 to 9 would look nicer. I'd rather not end the list with a number that looks like it doesn't belong there. I would prefer to have the centuries starting in '0' years (like 2000), but I've always had to live in the real world and that is was it is not what I want.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I am surprised you are not pointing out that year 1 or zero is actually just an arbitrary date picked out of the air hundreds of years after the fact. Nobody at the time wrote year 1 or year zero as the current date.

One thing you might say in defense of year zero is at one minute after midnight is 00:01 not 1:01.

Reply to
gfretwell

micky posted for all of us...

LOL at this! A needed laugh.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Another entry in the category of Technology Theater.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Just for the record, that says what I did, that the 20th and 21st century ends when 2000 or 2100 end.

Of course those are numbered centuries. A century can end any time if it started 100 years earlier It can end when 6:32:14PM 1843 ends if it began at 6:32:15PM 1743

Reply to
micky

I went back and the next guy went to the trouble of looking at the copies and said one of the points wasn't there. I guess the first guy didn't push the key in the slot far enough. What's the saying, If they make something idiot-proof, they'll invent better idiots.

He made two on the fancy machine and one on the traditional machine (to save time, I think Who would do that when he could have just pressed 3 instead of 2). Then he looked at the copies and said he could see a dimple in the traditional one that wasn't there in the fancy-machine one (What other HD clerk would do that. I haven't looked yet). They all worked.

The second guy should really be doing something more challenging that pays better. He's obviously more curious and smarter than the average guy. He said his brother was a computer something or other, or majoring in CS in college, but he didn't want to do that. I wonder if he is paying the family expenses so his younger brother can go to school. Maybe I should have said something encouraging but I didnt' think of all this when I was there.

Reply to
micky