Air Conditioning options

We bought a CT house, that only has "crank out" windows. The prior owner had installed central air, which is no longer repairable (per 2 service visits).

I would like to AC our bedroom - no real need for the rest of our house. Is there any Air Conditioner, that I could use / adapt to our crank out BR windows?

Note: I do not want to spend $$, to replace our central AC unit. We only want AC, when sleeping.

Reply to
Dave C

When our large window unit went caput we bought a portable ac unit like one of the ones you can buy at Home Depot. It works great and the vent isn't that big and looks like it might fit vertically into a crank out window, but I haven't tried it myself on that kind of window. That might work.

Reply to
rebel

Not exactly what you're thinking but this might work better for you all the way around while maintaining the structural integrity of the window.

Buy a suitable window AC unit and "convert" it to a through the wall unit. If you're at all handy, it's a relatively easy fix and works quite well. I've done it in three different locations at my place. Two additions to the house where it was impractical to extend the duct work for the existing central air and one in my workshop in a detached garage.

Oldest installation/conversion is going on 38 years and it's still working just fine.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

there are web sites which describe how to mount the exhaust to a casement (crank out) window.

Reply to
taxed and spent

We have casement windows, but where we needed to put the ac unit had the floor space to park the portable unit. It's much quieter than the window unit that quit working, too. When winter came, we just took the vent out of the window and moved the unit to a storage room in the house. I didn't think a portable unit would work so well, but I love it.

Reply to
rebel

I see four options.

  1. Casement AC unit

  1. Standard AC through the wall

  2. Mini Split

  1. Portable unit (you have to empty a bucket)

Ed Pawlowski

I've never met a wall or window unit I've liked. They're too damn noisy! I'd go with a mini-split.

Reply to
Sum Ting-Wong

I would price shop a goodman installed in your current furnace. central AC is much more convenient, saves energy. and a goodman may cost 1500 to 2000 bucks.

trane carrier and others 2 to 3 times the cost of a goodman. a lifetime fri end who used to teach HVAC highly recommends goodman, since the parts arent propietory. none of this OEM only where the parts are a profit center, and can end when the manufacturer wants.

dont call the biggest add in the paper of yellow pages, there are lots of s mall dealers who will do a excellent and affordable job.

i had window units for most of my life, the bbest upgrade was goodman

Reply to
bob haller

Get a 115V ductless split system. About $1000.

Avoid window units at all costs.

Reply to
sms

A mini-split is definitely the best option for a room air-conditioner.

They are expensive, about $1000. Replacing existing central air is about $3000 for the compressor and evaporator.

The other option is cutting a hole in the wall.

Avoid window units at all costs.

Reply to
sms

If you tip AC on its side, the compressor lubricating oil goes to the wrong places, and the unit won't work.

What's needed is called a casement style AC. I have one outdoors on the deck, I've been trying for years to sell it. I'm in suburb of Rochester, NY, probably can't UPS or post office it. Wonder where is the OP, and if there is some way to drive it there.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just need to cut away about 1/3 of the condenser, and modify the air flow so the outdoor air comes in the back of the unit. Might need to do some brazing to reseal the copper tubes when you cut em.

That will convert a window unit to a through the wall unit.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Controlled temperature?

If not that, what?

Reply to
micky

CT= Connecticut.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Your windows are 'casement windows' and you can find AC units to fit them. Casement windows are more common outside the US.

Reply to
KB

There aren't many AC's that fit casement windows, but of course you only need one. It will keep you from opening that half of the window.

Also they are usually small, not much higher than they are wide, so they won't cool as much as a bigger one will. My info is 50 years old but it seems like it would have to still be true.

Anotehr thing one could do is put a hole in the wall and put the AC in a sleeve designed for that purpose. I don't know what it takes to keep the cold out during the winter.

More in reply to Rebel below

Wow. I was just about to ask you about the noise but you beat me to it. The noise is what worries me the most, and I was thinking of putting a room AC in another room just so I coudln't hear it.much.

What brand do you have, do you remember? Top of the line? Cost?

Reply to
micky

I was thinking it may cool too much. Most bedrooms need only 5,000 or

6,000 BTU and the casements are 8,500 to 10,000.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I should have mentioned that in the house I lived in with casement windows, we had no AC at all. A new owner put in central AC, which was probably pretty easy since it had central forced air heat.

Hmm. If it's too big, maybe he could cool it to 64 before going to bed, then set it to 72 and the thing would stay off most of the night, solving most of the noise problem when he is in there.

Reply to
micky

Wow, look at this:

I didn't think they sold stuff like this. Certainaly shoudln't use it where there's any humidity** but might work okay in a very dry location.

It's funny how it looks just like a portable AC.

**Like Baltimore, where it usually doesn't bother me but I still wouldn't want to increase it. Sometimes even without this it's humid enough that it makes it feel much hotter.
Reply to
micky

I don't think it's top of the line. Probably somewhere in the middle, I'm guessing. It's an Intertek LG 12,000 BTU R410A. It was on sale for $325 when I bought it at Home Depot couple of summers ago.

Compared to the window unit, it purrs like a kitten, but it still has some noise. I can hear the TV over it just fine.

Reply to
rebel