Population concentration

Page 1 of 2  
A map showing that a bit over half the U.S. population lives in the 144 largest counties. The rest of us live in 2,998 counties. http://alturl.com/5bmok (American Enterprise Institute)
--
Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 09 Aug 2015 19:46:04 -0500, "Dean Hoffman"

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but if you were to overlay a map of the black population over your map you would find that the vast majority of the black population resides in those 144 largest counties.
Going one step further out on that proverbial limb I would bet that those 144 largest counties have disproportional high crime rates.
Finally, we would find that these 144 largest counties have historically been controlled by the Democratic party.
Therefore, Democrats care not for the very people they say they want to help.
Am I right?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 8:38:26 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Holy shit...you sound just like the Mormon...there is little hope for you m y friend. You fell off the limb and onto the slippery slop to the final aby ss! Good bye! (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿ ▀̿ ̿)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
bob_villa wrote:

Well, according to the census... he's correct. http://www.censusscope.org/us/map_nhblack.html
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 10:18:40 AM UTC-5, 83LowRider wrote:

...in saying, "he's correct" you are accepting all of his biased statements.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
bob_villa wrote:

What an asshole . Just because my wife said something I disagreed with , I suppose you think I should hate her and get a divorce . Is it not possible for me to disagree with some things you say but not agree with other things you say ? FWIW , if you look at the demographics , you'll see that there is indeed a correlation between population density , race , and crime levels . No , I don't have a cite but it's not that hard to track .
--
Snag



Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
bob_villa wrote:

Nonsense. The correlation between the two maps has nothing to do with anyones bias. Facts are simply facts.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 4:34:03 PM UTC-5, 83LowRider wrote:

His assumptions are his bias...you stamped your approval by saying he is correct...follow?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
bob_villa wrote:

I didn't 'stamp' anything. Overlay the maps and he is either right or wrong. The overlay shows he is correct. There is no bias in simply stating a fact. Follow?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 5:34:03 PM UTC-4, 83LowRider wrote:

What correlation? The two maps I saw were very different.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
trader_4 wrote:

Well... let's just get the list then. 1 Detroit, MI 82.7 590,226 2 Jackson, MS 79.4 137,716 3 Miami Gardens, FL 76.3 81,776 4 Orangeburg, SC 75.04 13,964 5 Birmingham, AL 73.4 155,791 6 Baltimore, MD 63.7 395,781 7 Memphis, TN 63.3 409,687 8 New Orleans, LA 60.2 206,871 9 Baton Rouge, LA 58.5 126,250 10 Wilmington, DE 58 41,326 11 Flint, MI 56.6 57,939 12 Savannah, GA 55.4 75,507 13 Augusta, GA 54.7 107,182 14 Shreveport, LA 54.7 109,022 15 Montgomery, AL 54.5 116,524 16 Atlanta, GA 54.0 226,894 17 Cleveland, OH 53.3 211,672 16 Portsmouth, VA 53.3 50,878 17 Harrisburg, PA 52.4 25,957 18 Newark, NJ 52.4 145,085 19 Valdosta, GA 51.1 27,860 20 Washington, D.C. 50.7 305,125 21 Richmond, VA 50.6 103,342 22 Mobile, AL 50.6 98,691 23 St. Louis, MO 49.2 157,160 24 Danville, VA 48.3 43,055 25 Beaumont, TX 47.3 55,931 26 N Charleston, SC 47.2 45,964 27 Jackson, TN 45.7 29,802 28 Columbus, GA 45.5 86,398 29 Cincinnati, OH[3] 45.0 133,157 30 Saginaw, MI 44.9 23,127
Top 83 (and similar lists) here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._cities_with_large_African-American_populations
Many of the other 'hot spots' on the map the OP linked to are made up of large hispanic populations. That is to say mainly the eastern coast as well as TX and CA. http://www.censusscope.org/us/map_segregation_hispanic.html
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 2:20:09 PM UTC-4, 83LowRider wrote:

That doesn't show that the vast majority of blacks live in the 144 largest counties. The map you, yourself provided, clearly doesn't show a positive correlation. In fact, it looks like a a negative correlation. The map of the 144 largest counties is empty in the wide belt from east Texas up to Washington DC. The black census map that you provided shows that wide belt as the HIGHEST percentage of blacks in the whole country. How you get a positive correlation out of that IDK. And your new list doesn't show it either. It's not ranked by numbers of blacks, it's a list of "Select cities with a large *percentage* of Black or African American people". And even in that list cities with a high percentage of blacks are Orangeburg SC, Birmingham AL, New Orleans, Jackson MS, Baton Rouge, and Wilmington DE. Those aren't on the list of the largest 141 counties. Given that broad belt from East TX all the way to Washington DC, I find it hard to believe that the vast majority of blacks live in those 141 largest counties. But, my main point was that the map you claimed shows a correlation, actually suggests the opposite, if anything.

Hispanics <> blacks
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
trader_4 wrote:
I laid the maps side by side and whipped out my trusty MS Paint green pen... for the simple-minded.
http://tinypic.com/r/2pt9fdu/8
HTH.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 9:03:43 AM UTC-5, 83LowRider wrote:

I think you proved it...they *DON'T* correspond! Thanks! ヽ༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 10:03:43 AM UTC-4, 83LowRider wrote:

And again, how does that show this:
"the vast majority of the black population resides in those 144 largest counties. "?
There is a huge, wide dark red and purple belt from East Texas all the way up to the Washington DC/MD area on the map you provided. That's the area with the counties that have the highest percentage of blacks. That same area has just a few hits on the map with the 144 largest counties. So, obviously there are a lot of blacks in the USA in that red/purple area that are not in the 144 largest counties. They are in smaller counties, spread over a huge geographic area. How many there are there in absolute numbers, IDK, but neither do you. With that wide swatch across a large geographic area, it clearly doesn't prove the claim. All it shows is that the 144 counties correlate with having a higher concentration of blacks. That doesn't equate with the vast majority of the USA black population residing in those 144 counties. There is a big difference. You haven't even shown that it's a majority at all. It may be, but nothing here proves it so far. I'll leave it for others to judge who's simple minded.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
trader_4 wrote:

Let me correct myself -- and state in MY words --
Those huge majority of those 144 largest counties are made up of the highest concentration of blacks.
Does that make it all better for you? That is what I took the OP as meaning as opposed to the literal majority number of blacks. Does that make you feel better? You can now pat yourself on the back and tell all your friends what great work you did.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 2:31:23 PM UTC-4, 83LowRider wrote:

I guess that depends on what you mean by "the highest concentration" of blacks. If you mean by percentage of population, then the map you provided shows that isn't true, because the highest percentage concentration is through that wide belt from East TX, up through MD. If you mean that in those 144 largest counties you will find the largest absolute numbers of blacks, then yes, because that was never in question.

That may be what you took it to mean, but it's clearly not what was stated:
"if you were to overlay a map of the black population over your map you would find that the vast majority of the black population resides in those 144 largest counties. "
That statement would imply that perhaps two thirds or 75%+ of all blacks in the USA live in those 144 counties. And note, IDK if that's true or not, only that the map you provided doesn't prove it.

Well, the facts do matter.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I wasn't thinking much past the price/type of housing. There are/were towns in Nebraska and Kansas giving lots away to families moving in. There might've also been some property tax relief to go along with that.
--
Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

There are other obvious conclusions one can make with that data, but if I pointed them out some may say I was racist. I would never want that to happen. :-)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Gordon Shumway wrote:

Yeah , saying that blacks are more likely to engage in criminal activity just because they're 10% of the population but 75% (numbers came from my ass , quoted for example purposes only) of the prison population *IS* a bit racist ... or is it just honest ?
--
Snag



Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.