Pool Cover?

"I'm confused, if the pool is 16 ft wide...why would the span be 18 ft?"

The joists would have to be larger than the pool itself, no? I was thinking that they would need to extend about a foot or so on either side of the pool. How else could it be done?

Reply to
f.amendola

Frank-

This is why you need a design / construction pro....the definition of "span" is the clear distance between supports. Hence the term "clear span".

The fact that you have been concerned about the pool supporting the deck load plus thinking that the joists extending beyond the edge of the pool also extends the "span" tells me that you are in over your depth...get in touch with someone :(local) who can do this design for you.

This isn't the space shuttle....its just a deck over a pool.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

What's your problem dumb ass. Shut the F**K up. No one wants your retarded opinion.

Reply to
TH

Personally, I'd go with a custom electric cover. That way the pool can be made safe with the flick of a switch any time of year.

Probably big bucks.

If I was going to try to span the pool with lumber and plywood, I'd be thinking of using styrofoam supports floating in the pool. That way the thing would not have to weigh a ton. The bigger the styrofoam blocks, the less lumber needed.

There was a similar thread on this group a few months back and someone was looking at a floating dock.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Post another picture if you can. Are you saying the the edge of the pool is not at the same level?

-Tom

Reply to
TH

Yep Dan that was me actually... I am still looking for a solution. I loved the floating idea with EZDock sections, but it was really pricey, about 13K. And I am leery about using foam billets because of the weather here... I think that the winter will eat up the foam pretty good.

As to BobK, thanks again, and you are correct, I am not a builder, nor am I an architect. I am pretty handy though, and have done some framing, decking etc... Nohjting like this though... Maybe I am in a little over my head here, but thanks a million for your time, at least I know that there are others who are sypathetic to my plight, are reasonable, and have made me feel that I am not crazy, that it is possible, and that....well... just thanks a lot man.

I will be sure to repost here when I do find a solution, as I was not able to find anyone else on any board, or anywhere else for that matter, who has done anything like what I am trying to do.

Thanks again all.

Reply to
f.amendola