Poll: Best flooring for kitchen

Hello, I'm interested in which would be the best flooring for a kitchen. I'm considering wood laminate, ceramic tile, vinyl...
Would you all please share your opinions? Thank you so much. harry
harrypotter wrote:

If you are a klutz, forget the ceramic tile, because you will break lots of things.
--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Cork is warm, soft under foot, and will last for decades if properly installed, sealed, and cared for.
Wayne
On 21 Feb 2004 22:28:36 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (harrypotter) wrote:

Cork
BB
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
I agree with Melinda,
We had ceramic one time. When you drop the old glass jar of dill pickles, you knew one or the other would break. Quarry tile will usually beat the glass jar. Brick usually wins.
I have not had the laminates, though the ones I've been on seem noisy. They are prone to failure if they become saturated by a water leak.
It is hard to beat sheet vinyl.

Ceramic tile, tough, easily cleaned and lasting. Seamus J. Wilson

Ceramic is unbeatable for many day-to-day issues (clean up, etc). But, and a big but, don't use glazed tile. Reason? The glaze is only surface deep, obviously, so if you drop something, drag a chair, etc, and the tile chips, you expose the clay below which is usually a dark red/brown colour. Unless you keep lots of spare tiles and grout (good idea) and are adept at replacing tiles, you will have a ratty looking floor in no time. How do I know? This is exactly the state of my kitchen floor!!!

Tile comes in various numbered grades of durability. Sounds like you got something that was intended for very light duty.
BB

in the entrance, dining room, etc and I asked him how he planned to deal with things like people entering the house in the winter with their snow- boots on, etc.
He said that in areas like the entrance he had them use the same finish they use on basketball courts and that it should stand up to the elements pretty well.
I don't think he meant that it would be maintenance-free, though, but still...
I wondered if such a finish would make hardwood flooring a good choice for kitchens, too.
Any thoughts on that?
Thx
--
Regards,
blubluh

Basketball court floor finishes are not especially tough or durable. It's just plain old polyurethane. They require special care, and I think you'll find that if anybody cares, they won't even allow street shoes to touch it. If you've ever seen a gymnasium that had a roof leak, you'll know that it's not very waterproof, either. A minor leak can result in major warpage.
BB
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (harrypotter) wrote:

Solid sheet material (linoleum), since it has no areas to leak, when water gets spilled.
Personally, for a step up, I'm looking into terrazo or a poured acrylic finish (another current thread in here), but I'm doing the baths right now, not yet to my kitchen.