fake wood paneling

I see that painting wood paneling has been covered a million times here, but the posts I see, I think, are refering to real paneling. I live in a manufactured home circa 1980, and would like to do something about the fake paneling that is throughout the house. I'm not sure if I should paint or wallpaper and just wanted to know if anyone has been in a similiar situation and what they did. I don't mind the painted panel look, but didn't know how well paint or wallpaper would adhere to the walls. Thanks for any advise- Annie

Reply to
anne

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (anne) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Did that once with some wall paper prep and it worked great. Here's a text from this site

You can prime and paint the paneling and get a really good job out of it too long as you do this cottectly. First you need to clean and dull the paneling a little, and what I always recommend is to mix up a solution of TSP and hot water and use a scuffpad. Scrub the paneling down with this, and then wipe the paneling clean with clear water. You can find TSP at any hardware store or paint store and basically what it is is a heavy duty cleaner than comes in a powder form. Once the paneling is dry, prime with a primer/sealer called BIN. Once again you can find this at most paint stores or hardware stores (every True Value stocks this!). This primer is not only a sealer so it will seal off the paneling but it is also a adhesion promoter. It sticks to hard to paint surfaces like formica, glass, even ceramic tile, so it will bite onto the paneling and stick really good for you. Once the primer dries, about an hour, you can then paint the walls as you would normally

Hey, that's not my spelling, it was cut & paste.

Reply to
lowspauld

Hi Anne!

A > I see that painting wood paneling has been covered a million times A > here, but the posts I see, I think, are refering to real paneling. I A > live in a manufactured home circa 1980, and would like to do something A > about the fake paneling that is throughout the house. I'm not sure if A > I should paint or wallpaper and just wanted to know if anyone has been A > in a similiar situation and what they did. I don't mind the painted A > panel look, but didn't know how well paint or wallpaper would adhere A > to the walls.

Done that here some time back. Sand the surface to rough up a bit and get rid of any normally-accumulating grundge. Wipe down with clean water. The sandpaper grit is about that of the coarse side of a fingernail file: you want to take a little off but don't want any of the roughness to show through the paint/wallpaper.

Before that step fill the grooves with spackling compound. If it doesn't stick run a nail down the groove to roughen the surface. Sand flush.

One problem we had here was in the basement. The undersurface was knotty pine with the 45ø notches. At the 4' sections the wallpaper tore in some places when the house shifted seasonally (winter). If you have noticed a shifting problem you might want to try lining up the wallpaper edges to accomodate.

  • Polynuclear: A parrot from Chernobyl.
Reply to
barry martin