Plumbing question....

Not sure if there is a more appropriate group to post this....if there is, please let me know.

Anyway, here's what I'm faced with:

I have a two-storey home with a full 8-foot ceiling basement. The basement was roughed-in for a future bathroom. The rough-in includes the toilet, basin and bathtub plumbing and venting. I'll be installing a toilet and a vanity (or pedestal sink...?) but will not be installing a shower or bathtub. Instead, I'm installing a wall-mount urinal. I've adjusted the plumbing accordingly for that (removed the trap in the floor since there's a trap built into the urinal already), and the venting for the urinal was already in place. So here's what I want to do now:

I'm installing an 8x8 bar in the basement as well. I want to have a small sink built into the bar but I'm not sure how to go about plumbing that in. The sink will be approximately 8 feet away from the drain for the urinal and approximately 12 feet away from the drain for the sink. Where would be the best place to run my drain to? Both are currently 1

1/2" drains. Also, where can I vent to? The existing vent is currently the same distance away as the drain....going straight up and out the roof. Do I need to vent my new bar sink closer than 8-12 feet away? And if so, can I go horizontal to the outside wall, then vertical and out the side of the house with an elbow?

I've heard about these venting attachments things you can attach to your trap or something also...water activated as I recall? They open and allow the air to escape without doing all sorts of complex ABS runs within closed spaces (bars, islands, etc.) Can anyone shed light on this also?

I hope I've covered all of the details....any help would be greatly appreciated.

Corey

Reply to
coreyleiper

You would have to get the exact specifics from your local inspector since requirements vary from state-to-state.

4 feet from trap to vent is typical.

This is one mechanical vent you were thinking of:

ask the inspector.

He might insist on an "island vent":

Run the vent on the exterior of the building? Might get away with it; most places-no.

If it's practical in your layout, there is no reason you can't extend the existing vent (for the urinal) over to within 4 feet of the bar sink trap. (Vent line must slope downward toward the bar sink.)

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim