Please help diagnose electrical problem

Page 2 of 2

You are lucky that damage was where the electrician could get to it. You can't get anyone out to your house for less than that. $75 is a fair price.

I already have a website, so I'd find it easier to post it there.

Mark Lloyd

I have a web page too, but I still find it easier to post temporary stuff like screenshots at tinypic. Tinypic works for people that do and people that don't use their web page.
Also, you don't have to worry about how long to leave a temporary pic on your web site.
parangles wrote:

OK, That is a clear picture. The way I would see it is that the wire that passes through the box is the fan. So your power is coming from below. Basement or from someplace in the wall. I suppose in the wall. So, if there is no voltage at the switch the problem is to find out where that wire goes, the one that goes down from the switch.
At this point a map of all the outlets in the house would be useful. I have such a thing posted inside my breaker box. I went through all the breakers, turning them off one at a time and made a map of all the outlets and lights and which breaker controls them.
You could do that now and perhaps find out what outlets are controlled by the fan (light?) breaker.
That double set of wires must have been installed at the same time. Normally there would be just the one set running through the switch.
Thanks Rich, I've given up on this and called an electrician. I'll post back here afterwards so anyone who's curious can see what it was.
The map/list of outlets/breakers is a must for the future- Good idea.
Cheers, Chris.
parangles wrote:

The ceiling fans I have seen have 4 wires, black (hot for fan), white (neutral), blue (hot for light), and green (ground). Both fan and light use the same wire for neutral. You would not be able to connect fan and light to separate circuits without creating a potentially dangerous condition.

Mark Lloyd
parangles wrote:

Taking the fan out would be the next step. It is much easier to take down with the blades off. Mark them so you can put them back in the same place. If you change them around you could get a balance problem.