phone line problem - advice wanted!

I have a phone line that is currently down and I don't know what's wrong with it. I have called my Verizon and got an instruction to go outside of house to check phone line from Network Interface and it works fine from network interface. My phone line is a regular POT line where I used to have two line due to modem dial-up but that is gone now. I reduced to only 1 phone line about 3 years ago and been using phone fine except occational strange and some what shortend ring tone - plus when that happens phone line status is very bad(I've never had voice-mailbox service).
Currently, my phone line would not work from inside house but from Network Interface phone works. I hear strange alarming beeping tone when I lift headset off the tone. Here is what my strange beeping dial tone sounds like
Please, give me some advice on what to look for. Could it be possible that phone lines installed in my house is the problem? (possible shorted phone line?)
Thank you in advance.
Oktokie

href="http://www.hacksrus.com/~oktokie/music/phone_line_sound.mp3 ">phone_lin e_sound</a>
Suggest disconnect / inspect / rewire all jacks in the system, bringing them back online one at a time, checking for proper operation as you proceed along
Red/green is the traditional tip-ring color code in legacy phone systems (pots) using older quad wire, while in the cat3~cat 5 it is the blue pair......
Modern RJ11 ~RJ45 differ only in the width of the jack and number of wire pairs involved--the color code staying the same going from center outwards.....
Line 1 is the two center pins.
See the chart :
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6209
--

SVL

oktokie wrote: /snip/

href="http://www.hacksrus.com/~oktokie/music/phone_line_sound.mp3 ">phone _line_sound</a>
That's a fast busy or 'reorder' tone. One side of the line is shorted to ground between the telco demarc and your phone. Could be a defective phone (i.e. as the result of a lightning strke). If you have more than one phone, disconnect them all. If the problem goes away then plug the phones back in one at a time until the problem reoccurs. Could also be a damaged house pair as the result of who-knows-what.