Phone in bathroom

Page 2 of 3
On 07 Nov 2003, mark Ransley wrote:

As long as you can keep the phone ringing, sure, you could try to harness the 50-100 VAC and use it to charge something, or maybe run a small device.
Let's see...you can keep calling your home phone from your cell phone and hanging up before it answers (have to watch those peak minute$, ya know) but then you would run your battery down on the cell, so you would need to plug it into the charger... TP
Stupid , Tom , How about real life, no load and a load drain ........Minimal load per hr ,
On 07 Nov 2003, mark Ransley wrote:

I'm trying...what part aren't you seeing? That IS real life. Back up a step, there's nothing there...NOTHING...until you talke the hone off hook or have it ringing, so start your expenses off with the cost of a phone line that you basically can't use as a phone line. Then pick your recovery method, try to harvest something from the minimal bias/DC voltage that's always there, or try to harness the slightly bigger ringer voltage, and there's really no way to make your phone ring unless SOMEBODY calls it, and you can't just ask Telco to ring your phone 24/7, so YOU have to call it somehow.
Hoestly..not trying to jerk you around, just show you that there really isn't anything there that's economically or practically attractive. I can buy one hell of a lot of good old commercial power for the $18-25 it costs for a phone line every month.
I see Tom , the power isnt there.
On 07 Nov 2003, mark Ransley wrote:

At least not to a point where it would make economic sense to go after it, that's all.
I-zheet M'drurz Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and

Maybe they can charge their cell while calling their home number... <G>
NOI

Speaking of...was gonna call ya to let you know I wasnt gonna be able to hit IRC tonight..will explain later in there, or the old method of com..

CBHvac Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed

No big deal.
BTW, hit Trillian's site for the MSN and Yahoo patches. <G>
Also, since you have my old work cell, don't try calling it. I kinda broke it when I beat it on the dashboard of the car....yeah. That kind of month...
NOI
On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 17:14:54 -0500, "CBHvac"

Ronnie Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed

Hence his "A M P" comment at the end. <G>
NOI

Ya Think??? :)
Sheesh..basic stuff....and it confuses so many.

CBHvac Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed

Ya. Funny thing is I knew that back when I was 12. <Shrug>
NOI
What about a speaker phone?
I dont beleive there is enough current or amps to kill, Urban Legend. Or phone sockets would be outlawed for damp areas. Ive messed with alot of phone lines, never been shocked.
Hi, At least 48V DC and when ringing it used to be 120V 20Hz AC. I use cordless sub set in the bathroom. Siemens cordless has one base and multiple sub set which does not need phone line hook up. This sets are scattered in my 3 level of living space. Works very well. Tony
mark Ransley wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:

P.S. This sub sets take only two AA batteries. I guess it is safe from electric hazard.

When was 120 volt ringing used? I thought Bell Canada stuck with the old USA Bell System standards.
I've spent 20 years in the phone biz, and my father started in 1960 for the same company.
Standard USA ringing leaves the office or remote hut at 88 VAC, 20 Hz.
"Extended" ringing is usually 105 VAC, but it's only used on long cable pairs, so the end result is the same.
130 VAC is/was used to power the old T1 span repeaters.
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Hi, Main issue is ringer voltage can be dangerous. Maybe I exaggerated a bit. Tony
On 06 Nov 2003, mark Ransley wrote:

When you're not getting an incoming ring signal, there is no problem, but if you happen to be touching both wires when a ring comes in, you *will* get the wires out of your hand, ASAP.

Not usually, but the jolt will knock you down.
In the telephone business, it's usually the fall off the ladder or pole that does the damage. The jolt only causes the fall.
However, standing in a bathtub would probably be a different story, in a worse sense. Weak hearts, pacemakers, etc... would be worse.
Barry