Permitting: rat on neighbor?

Page 1 of 3

The neighbor across the street, one house over, is installing some kind of driveway. Kind of like a carport, but right now it looks like it just has sides but no roof.
Definitely some earth moving going on.
My impression is that they didn't get a permit for this.
I'm a pretty live-and-let-live kind of guy, so I'd rather not rat on him. (NB: do not know him.) Is there a reason in terms of me protecting myself (i.e., my property value) to rat on him that could outweigh my discomfort in doing so?
County here is pretty strict about permitting. I put in a shed (HD Big Max Jr) and never got it permitted, though I did read up on the regs about offsets. Somehow this other operation seems like a bigger deal.

Why don't you read up on the regs for your neighbor's project, and if it looks like he's doing it right, then mind your own business?

Hard to do. The publicly available info clearly states they need a permit, but that's more because of legal issues. (Driveways intersect the county right-of-way; the county wants to keep tabs on significant improvements for property value tracking; etc.)
In terms of "substance" (engineering, etc), looks like the main code is ICC or whatever, which isn't online for free.

Hard to do. The publicly available info clearly states they need a permit, but that's more because of legal issues. (Driveways intersect the county right-of-way; the county wants to keep tabs on significant improvements for property value tracking; etc.)
In terms of "substance" (engineering, etc), looks like the main code is ICC or whatever, which isn't online for free. =========== Well, it was OK for you to install your shed without a permit. Seems to me your neighbor should be allowed to break the law juse like you did, you hypocrite.
You sound like an old fart who spends his days peeking through the blinds at what other people are doing. Get a hobby. Get a life.

That's a big ASSumption on your part there, Kanter. He may not have *needed* a permit for his shed. For example, here in Indianapolis, no permit is required for a structure of any type not exceeding 120 square feet and not having a permanent foundation.

The OP's original message SUGGESTED that a permit was needed. You and I are both guessing about this, and our guesses are of equal validity.
Have a nice day.
On Jun 16, 8:57am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I think in principle I needed a permit for the shed.
But I also think installing a rather tiny shed (it's definitely less than 100 sq feet and has no permanent foundation) in accordance with setback requirements yet having no permit is a much smaller deal than putting in a new driveway.
I'm pretty sure the new driveway violates setback requirements, but I can't find the setback requirements themselves. Seems like in most localities the side setback for a driveway is 5 ft. In this case, the setback is 0 feet.

I think in principle I needed a permit for the shed.
But I also think installing a rather tiny shed (it's definitely less than 100 sq feet and has no permanent foundation) in accordance with setback requirements yet having no permit is a much smaller deal than putting in a new driveway.
I'm pretty sure the new driveway violates setback requirements, but I can't find the setback requirements themselves. Seems like in most localities the side setback for a driveway is 5 ft. In this case, the setback is 0 feet.
=================== Got a telephone? Call the down and ASK about the setback requirements. Numerous people in this newsgroup have said that their town's permit offices were totally helpful in terms of sharing information.

I'm a live and let live sort of guy. If you don't want to buy 100 acres and put you house smack in the middle of it then you need to be tolerant of others.
Here a shed over 100 sq ft requires a permit. Also here the setbacks do not apply to driveways, only to structures. I think that's pretty common. My driveway is about 3' from the property line.
So for my 2c, no don't rat the guy out.

Actually the OP stated it specifically:

did.
and name it after the IRS.
rat the fellow out and one day someone may rat you out too.
mind your own business unless its endangering someone like if the new structure was too close to a electric line........
if the guy gets reported he will have a ax to grind and anyone in your neighborhood gets even a shovel out will get him calling.
so if YOU want more oversite sure report the fellow, but your about to start a local war that involves ALL your neighbors.......

Whether that happens or not is more a function of not doing things legally than whether you report someone else. It can be done confidentially to help avoid problems.

That would seem to be the point of many parts of the code. Applying the code is the building depts job, not neighbors who don't have access to the site or know the codes. If what the neighbor is doing is not consistent with the look of the rest of the houses and lowers property value, it is very much the business of everyone living nearby.

Yeah, but then again, people who don't give a damn about their neighbors and don't pull permits could also be the first ones to rat others out when they see something they don't like.

How about if a code official drives by and sees it? Then you have the exact same thing and potential for war without anyone having reported it. Code officials usually aren't going to say your neighbor reported you. They will just show up, say they saw construction, and ask about what is going on.
clipped

The first time I ever made a code complaint, it was about junk my husband stored outside of our condo (in the common areas). I sure didn't want to do it, and tried other means first (of course). Hubby is a pack rat and neighbors were complaining. I read that one could make anonymous complaints, so I emailed one :o) Code people came by, with my email in hand, with the email addy that only my husband would recognize. That was the first time I got in trouble with him, not the last :o)
<stuff snipped>

Yes, the only way to make sure it's truly anonymous is to use a neighbor's name. <just kidding>
While they may not be around forever, there's always the mailbox. But karma is karma and ratting out your neighbor could turn around and bite you. I've lived in neighborhood war zones and peaceful, shady ones. I like the latter. A lot. That means "live and let live" most times unless Jeff Dauhmer just moved in and there's a real bad smell in the air. Then, you "gotta drop the dime." Boy is that slang obsolete!
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

My hope in making the complaint was to stop neighbors from complaining about my husband's junk, for his sake as well as mine...he is the supreme pack rat, and currently has one of those inflatable "garages" piled in a heap next to the hedge in a concealed corner of the yard....Making the code complaint seemed the best way to convince him that people were bothered, after I had mentioned it to him a few times.
There has been very serious retaliation against some in our condo who pressed for correction of serious maintenance issues or code issues while there were board members in very serious arrears in mo. maintenance payments. Sad fact was that most owners pissed and moaned about their own "issues" and ignored the standard, decent way of going about addressing concerns that were good for everyone. One owner remodeled without a building permit...had an architect draw up plans and submit to board. Removed walls. The architect said that because of the removal of that wall, an intersecting wall in the unit below would have to be reinforced; I don't believe that was ever done. The owner doing the remodeling did his own electrical work, put screws through the side of the microwave he installed, severed the duct for exhaust fan from kitchen in unit below. Heaven knows what else he did, but he doubled his money and moved on just before the real estate crash. He later got a contractor license and advertises for kitchen remodeling :o)
Don't worry. I can remember when a local coin phone call cost 5 cents and I think the coke machine did also? And people would rock and/or tip it to get a free one!
Occasionally wonder if we should start a collection of these 'expressions' and 'slang terms' ................ hard to think of them cold. But quite often, probably in my case a sign of age; they come to mind or pop into conversation!
Let's see:
From the UK. "Spending a penny" .............. meaning going into a public convenience to use the toilet which then cost exactly one British penny, one twelfth of a shilling or one 240th of a UK pound.
"A month of Sundays" ........................... meaning very slowly or never!
"Would you believe .......................... ", meaning; not really.
Lots more; but right now can't think of them! :-)
On Jun 16, 10:12am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Bullshit. Government bureaucrats do not know the meaning of the word discretion.
First thing out of their mouths will be, "Joe Schmoe from across the street, phone number XXX-YYY-ZZZZ, blew you in." They don't want to be the bad guys.
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:12:15 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Code enforcement may tell you they are responding to a complaint, that is 99% of what they do, but they won't usually say who complained. Without that discretion, nobody would call and they would be out of a job. A lot of these calls are anonymous anyway.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

In my experience, which is rather vast because I have a pond right next to the road, the zoning and wetlands officials ALWAYS tell me who complained.
--- ---

<Bullshit. Government bureaucrats do not know the meaning of the word discretion.
First thing out of their mouths will be, "Joe Schmoe from across the street, phone number XXX-YYY-ZZZZ, blew you in." They don't want to be the bad guys.>
You got that right. They'll even point your way if you're standing outside.
-- Bobby G.