Pergo Floors

What do you think? Anything to look for especially? We have decided to get rid of the indoor/outdoor carpet, since the dog came. But Pergo seems ideal and easier to keep clean.
Any opinions?
TIA
aloha, Thunder smithfarms.com Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
Have a pergo in kitchen, light wood, 2 dogs, it always looks dirty because the floor is so perfectly smooth and even in shine. It will hold up but it depends on area used. We have real oak and tile and they dont show dirt like pergos semi gloss finish. I heard the complaint before but did not believe it till I saw it.
Do you mean laminate flooring in general? Pergo used to be "the name" now there are many manufacturers.
I installed some in my basement workshops. 7 mm thick, treated seams, 35 year warrranty for under $1.00 sq.ft.. It looks good. You can spend a lot more.
There should be no standing water on the floor, so you would need to be diligent wiping up around doorways.
The floor doesn't feel like wood - it's not.
A tablesaw and a spinsaw make the job a great deal easier. It's pretty easy to do.
Pergo type laminate is what it is. It's lower cost and can be a good choice for the right application. For me, that would likely be a basement office, or similar, where appearance isn't top on the list, but better moisture resistance is, etc. If it were a main living area, and depending on the value of the house, I'd at least consider going with a real engineered wood. It's more expensive, but it looks like real wood, where Pergo can look pretty good, but it deosn't look like real wood. And when you go to sell, I think real wood is a feature that does add some value to the price.
On 20 Mar 2006 05:10:58 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Thank you all again!!!
We live near the rainforest,in a very rural area, 4 wheel drive, a coffee farm, no mail delivery, no municipal water etc--very rural so I doubt that when we sell this place, anyone will really care about our floor:)--if it looks clean. I do care. Our spayed female Border Collie (think BOING BOING BOING) runs around like a nut. In one door and out the other.
I have seen an ad for Pergo (in the Lowe's flyer) and it came in a dark color too. I think, after no harsh comments from you all, that I am next going to ask a carpet installer we have used before and go forth. If I can see the dirt, at least I can clean it. The carpet just seems to get murkier and murkier in color- and I imagine the colony growing below.
A multitude of thanks to you all for your valuable input!!!!
aloha, Thunder smithfarms.com Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
With that much dirt you are better off with a flat finish medium dark product. Pergo will show everything with its smooth satin finish. I know now our kitchen never looks clean but for 5 minutes with 2 dogs.
Your dog will slide and click on any laminate floor.

I would go for real hardwood, if you can afford it. I was looking into this recently, and my friends who do construction and remodelling told me Pergo is not that great. Basically, they said it is a picture of wood on some substrate. When this "picture" layer gets scratched, you don't have wood underneath, but the substrate. I was at a restaurant that had Pergo floors, and I noticed that where it was scratched, it showed black underneath. Maybe you can fill it with wood filler...
The better quality Pergo isn't that cheap. I think some of it has a 25 year warranty, but that seems to cost as much as hardwood. I would recommend www.floormall.com for hardwood. I did a lot of shopping around, and if you call these guys, you can negotiate with them. They beat any price I could find, and were way cheaper than Lowes or The Home Despot, even when shipping is factored in.
A few other posts seem to favor wood (either solid or engineered) over Pergo. I used to think Pergo was pretty good, but now I realize the issue. With wood, you can re-finish it, even sand it down. Scratches can be filled with wood filler. Most of the wood flooring is already coated with aluminum oxide or strong polyuerthane varnish.
As far as cleaning, there are a variety of products for cleaning hardwood... From swiffer to the orange hardwood floor kit.
If you want to minimize your diggity dog's foot clipping, you may consider putting some cork underlayment under the floor.
Thanks for the post. We have a wide variety of laminate floors to choose from. With the new technology being used in the flooring industry you should not have to be STUCK with laminate flooring. There is an alternative to laminate and one that I highly suggest. Engineered Hardwood flooring. These products are built very similar to laminates but are a cross breed of solid flooring and laminate flooring. We have many options on our site at www.floormall.com/hardwood. With engineered flooring you have the strength and structure of a laminate but your top layer of flooring is REAL wood. These product are very reasonably priced and you have thousands of options. We always encourage our customers to haggle with our Sales Associates. With www.floormall.com ALL pricing is negotiable. Shouldnt it always be? Enjoy shopping!! Marc Henderson President and CEO Floormall.com 800-313-1107 central_scrutinizer wrote:

"smithfarms pure kona" wrote

You may or may not like them, but I'm partial to the Pergo tiles.
Whether you use Pergo or not, the dog will come again unless you get him neutered..... :-)
"We have decided to get rid of the indoor/outdoor carpet, since the dog came. But Pergo seems ideal and easier to keep clean."
Read warranties. Compare Mannington with Pergo and others especially on water and wear and tear issues. After doing that we went with a Mannington click floor and it is doing great. Even in kitchen, bath and laundry rooms.