Painting Water Heater Vent Pipe

Gas water heater. For vent pipe above roof, exterior Rustoleum or house paint hold up?
Thanks, Al...
For galvanised ,latex housepaint it should not be to hot at the roof.
If the pipe is btand new, paint will not stick to it. It must be etched first.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote in 3135.bay.webtv.net:

I bet in the middle of summer here the shingles are hotter than the pipe while it's venting.
And I suppose the oil base Rustoleum I have hanging around, should I use it, would be OK. Any no-no comments on that from anyone?

Why bother? If it's new metal, in a year or so the shine will wear off.

Thanks for the replies all. I should have mentioned it is already there and has old paint on it. Not glossy nor pealing. Make a good base for the latex I used on the house I suppose.