Water Heater Vent Pipe

I just tested a water heater with an aluminum vent pipe connecting the draft hood to the B-vent. If I understand correctly galvanized or stainless pipe is required to meet code. Is this correct or is aluminum ok?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Energy

I don't think there is any material requirement for the connecting pipe. I'm using a 24" flexible appliance connector (Selkirk Metbestos brand) and it is all aluminum, as is the inner lining of the B vent itself. Wood burning devices use stainless liners.

Dennis

Reply to
DT

on 12/23/2007 3:14 PM Andy Energy said the following:

I've had a 4" aluminum flex pipe on my propane water heater for almost

30 years. It connects to a 4" galv tube before joining the boiler stack. If alum is not to code, I can't imagine what the reasoning is.
Reply to
willshak