Painting (Entrance Door)

Hi,
I'm painting my exterior entrance door. It's metal. I'll probably finish it in a latex semi-gloss, but my consider a gloss finish.
First, it's been horribly painted in the past. How should I prep it? 150 grit on my palm sander?
Secondly, how can I eliminate brush marks? In the past I've used a foam roller to roll out the brush marks. Does anyone know of another method for producing a smooth finish coat?
Thanks.
Us oil not latex, from a real paint store, like Ben Moore or P&L and penetrol and a good brush. Sand with 220 minimum , have the store lead you. Oil finishes smother and harder.
Frank Llyod wrote:

If it was "horribly painted" it is probably latex. Latex won't sand. You *could* chemically strip then prime. Oil primer. It doesn't sand well either...best way is wet sanding with silicon carbide paper. #400. Another choice is auto body primer...it sands well. __________________

Use paint. Real paint (oil) and tip it off. Or spray. Either way, have the door horizontal.
<< First, it's been horribly painted in the past. How should I prep it? 150 grit on my palm sander? >>
This is the best case one could make for taking the whole thing down to an auto body shop and let the experts do it right. The price won't be as bad as you might imagine, since insurance companies have been aggressively screwing the shop operators for years on repair labor costs. There is absolutely no way you will approach the quality finish a good shop can do. In addition, the automotive finishes will stand far more abuse than paint store products. Finishes that come close are in the boating industry. HTH
Joe
Joe Bobst wrote:

Actually neighbors have a guy staying with them who's painting a bunch. He's an ex-car guy, so he's been using a little bondo to reduce some of the internal corners on molding and then spraying it with an airless brush and some fancy ass nozzle on it.
The result is a car-finish. Totally smooth flowing. Neat look.

for
Flotrol and good technique.