P2R phillips bit -- what is it?

Page 1 of 2
Found these among my 1/4-inch driver bits. Tried to use them for #2 phillips screws and snapped off a couple.
What are these for?
Thanks, FBt
on 4/7/2008 10:45 AM Esther & Fester Bestertester said the following:

Phillips Pressure Treated wood screws. You probably got the bits in a box of the screws.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

A Google search found this under Craftsman tools :P2R Phillips drywall bit

I too saw that in the Craftsman too set.
So what? It doesn't say what it is for.
Google is not always the answer.

What part about the word "drywall" do you not understand?

Yes, it is.

Let me rephrase that...
When & why would you use a P2R bit rather than a regular P2 bit? Are drywall screws specifically meant to be driven with P2R bits? It seems that P2R bits are more broadly purposed than just for drywall...
Looking for more than Google gives on P2R... (although now that I know it stands for Reed-Prince, I do find more). But Googling "P2R" only says it's for drywall, which I find ... an incomplete answer.
So, no, Google is not always the answer.
on 4/8/2008 1:59 PM Esther & Fester Bestertester said the following:

If it works in a Phillips head screw, what the hell's the difference if it is a P2R bit or a #2 Phillips bit?. Just hold on to it until you get screws that it will only fit. All this crap because of a number on a bit.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

It is if you don't know dick and are trying to evade the subject.
Steve <g>

What do we need a newsgroup for when we have Google? Every question that's ever been asked and every fact of life is in Google. I say we kill all newsgroups.
Steve

Bye, Steve. [g]

WATCH OUT FOR THAT DOORKNOB!
On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 12:39:54 -0800, "SteveB"

Au contraire, let's kill Google, the leaky sieve, the human rights violator (remember the China tragedy?) and keep the newsgroups!

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 07:45:23 -0700, Esther & Fester Bestertester

Might be "Reed Prince" bits, which are very similar to a phillips, except they come to a sharp point, rather than the slightly blunted tip of a phillips.

What are they used for? I thought if it was a #2 it should be the same shape tip.
On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 15:37:19 GMT, Esther & Fester Bestertester

They are used for screws that have a reed prince slot in them. #2 only refers to size, not type.

Now *that* isn't found by Googling "P2R".
Thanks!

I have a bunch of twos and they are all different shapes. There seem to be a differing variety of shapes for different tasks. I do know that different shapes perform better at one thing and another.
Steve

The sharp pointed ones are the pozi-bits. I think they are mostly a British things much like the Phillips. I use mostly square drive now.They are less likely to cam out.

posi-drive should be marked PZ. they are like Philips except the sides are not tapered,but perpendicular so there's no cam-out.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Esther & Fester Bestertester wrote:

That is supposedly a special drywall screw bit, but I use them for everything if I have them and I can't tell a whole lot of difference except that they are narrower than a standard #2 along the body of the bit.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.