over the range hood

We've just discovered a glaring point of poor planning in our kitchen remodel. We previously had a powered stove vent that was installed in the ceiling and controlled by a wall switch. The area over the stove was open, and had never had a vent hood. We didn't like the look or sound of the old vent, so had it removed and closed in. We then had the entire room re-drywalled. We of course forgot to plan for the electric to the new over the range vent hood. The kind we chose does not require a duct, so we are fine there. But how to get power now? The cabinets are not here yet, so we still have some time. There are power recepticles to either side of where the stove will go, but there are studs seperating them from where the vent will go. Will I need to have a hole cut in the wall behind where the vent or cabinet above will go, and a new electric line fed down through the wall from the attic? Is that the way to go, or is there something else that should be done? Thanks!
Melissa
On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 01:17:01 GMT, Melissa

A ventless hood? Been there, done that. If you cook at all you'll regret this in the long term. Find the dough-re-me somewhere, install a vent and vented hood. I'm partial to the Broan Allure III, FWIW.
You may be able to draw power from one of the outlets depending on what else is on the circuit. Or you may need to run a new line tapping into another circuit or from the panel. Ask your electrician. In either case there will likely be some minor sheetrock damage needing repair. Since you haven't installed cabinets yet and it sounds like you haven't painted yet either, the repairs are no big deal.
--
Luke

Another vote for what Luke said. Over the range hoods achieve just one very UNimportant purpose - they redirect steam away from your face. But, beyond that they're useless. They put the steam right back into the room where it makes nearby cabinets and ceiling sticky so dust sticks better, thereby making cleaning more difficult. Go back to the type you had before.
The kind we chose does not require a duct,

Uhhhh.......
psssssttttttttt ...........
Isn't that like putting in a fart fan (a bathroom exhaust fan) and not having it exhaust to the outside?
Think about it ............
Steve
Notwithstanding all of the comments about the ventless hood, it is not as good as an outside vented unit but certainly better than nothing. It will trap a good bit of the grease and divert the steam away from the underside of the cabinets so that they won't warp. Broan, who seems to be the market leader, makes most of their over range vents convertible from vented to unvented.
Most of the hoods have a knock out to recieve power either on the top or the back. You need romex coming in from the back through the drywall to go into the back of the unit or better, you can locate it so that it will come through a hole drilled in the skirt piece on the bottom of the cabinet and come into the top knockout. It could be that your outlets are tied together and cross in the wall behind the area. Or come down from the attic with a feed picked up from the outlets. The hood does not draw very much power, so you should be able to piggyback off of anything close. Or pick up one of the 115 legs from the stove if it is electric. (better check the code on this, I'm not sure if it is legal).
On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 01:17:01 GMT, Melissa

You don't need electric. That type of hood is useless and won't make any difference with or without electricity. If not ducted to the outside, it is only a decoration.