oven went out

Page 2 of 2
On 3/5/2012 4:40 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Darn, you forgot the BFF, Big Freaking Flashlight. ^_^
TDD
Flashlight!
http://www.disney.co.uk/muppets/cms_res/images/download_pics/wallpapers/animal-wallpaper-1920x1200.jpg
Flashlight!

Darn, you forgot the BFF, Big Freaking Flashlight. ^_^
TDD
A wise person knows when to hand the job off to someone else. You sound wise.

I'm not qualified to do that, so I'll call an electrician.
On 3/4/2012 6:38 PM, Jan Philips wrote:

If running your hand down the breaker turned it back on there is a good possibility that the breaker has gone bad or one of the wires has burned off at the breaker
On 3/4/2012 6:38 PM, Jan Philips wrote:

Try caressing your breakers again, this time with a firmer touch. Maybe vary the speed a bit and see if the oven gets hot.
My guess is that there is a loose connection either where the breaker mounts to the buss or where the wire mounts to the breaker.
On 03/04/2012 05:38 PM, Jan Philips wrote:

If you have a neon tester, voltmeter, etc., check whether there's power at the plug the oven utilizes -- both sides of the line (assuming a 240 volt oven -- btw, two ganged breakers are implicated, and either one can defeat the oven). If it's too hard to get at the plug (heavy oven +/-) you can check at the breaker(s) to determine whether they're the problem. Be very careful poking around in there; get help if you don't have a clue what you're doing.
Another thought -- breakers are a lot cheaper (generally) and easier to swap (given some aptitude in that arena) than ovens. Either one can go bad, especially over 15 years.

The OP did not say, but everyone has assumed an electric stove/oven. The OP did not say if the stove elements do/do not work if it is electric. THis is very important information that is missing.
No one has suggested turning the breaker to the off position, and then pushing it even harder toward OFF, and, then turning it back on. If this doesn't fix things, then the cover on the breaker box needs to come off so the wiring can be inspected. If you are not VERY familiar with working on AC power, get a neighbor who is handy and who has a voltmeter to come to check if the circuit to the oven is on. Simply checking for voltage at the oven/stove outlet without some sort of a load on the circuit can give erroneous readings since a bad connection could give voltage, but under load the bad connection would not allow any appreciable current to flow. I would start by checking voltage at the output of the breaker with the stove elements turned on, if ok, and the stove heats up, the problem is in the oven portion of the stove. If no voltage with the stove turned on, turn everything on the stove off and see if the voltage is restored. If is it, the breaker is bad or there is a lousy connection somewhere in the breakaer circuit. Good luck, let us know what you find.
On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 18:38:35 -0500, Jan Philips

Too many variables but my first guess is the breaker but it could also be in the oven controls. No way to really assess with what you wrote. I once had a MAIN breaker go bad on a holiday weekend. I've also had a bad breaker on a different circuit go bad and that I replaced myself.
Another question is how old is the electric circuit panel? Maybe time to consider replacing the who panel? I had a panel replaced about 2 or 3 years ago and the electrician charged me $800 to do.
On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 18:38:35 -0500, Jan Philips
My oven goes out sometimes, with the fridge next door. They're a mixed couple. He's hot. She's cold.
When it's out, do no burners work at all. Does it have an electronic display? Does that work? Does the clock work. The oven light?