Oven pilot light dilemma (on an Old Stove)

I am attempting to light the pilot of an old stove that has been off for some time.

The stove is quite old (about 45 years) but holds a temperate uncannily accurate. When I lived there 7 years ago the pilot worked fine. Since then, my dad has had someone turn it off (for energy conservation purposes) and now, the current tenant would like it relit.

Here's what's confusing me. There are two adjustment screws just above the temperature control knob and one screw in the center. If I remember correctly, the screw in the center of the knob is to adjust the set point of the control. As I said, the temperature is quite accurate, so this I did not touch.

The two screws just above the knob seem to control; the amount of gas to the burner, and the pilot. One screw increases and decreases the burner flame. The other seems to do the same for the pilot. The problem is, no matter how I adjust these screws the pilot goes out when I turn off the oven? Am I missing another adjustment? Is there more information I can get off the valve that would help me answer this mystery?

I hate to have to replace the stove as it fits so well into the decor of its current setting.

Suggestions please...

Thank you Frank

Reply to
Frank

Hi,

The pilot assembly could be dirty, esp from sitting off for a while ( cob webs, spiders, ect ).

Something here may help....

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff