OT - work shoes

Page 1 of 2

My $15 Walmart working man's sneakers are gone flat, again. No cushion, and it's about like being barefoot.
I did a froogle search for postal shoes. Those guys on their feet all day, must have good shoes. No joy. Looked for working shoes. Not much to be found.
Where does a man buy comfortable shoes that last a couple years, and good for working men who climb ladders, work on cars, and that kind of thing?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Have you tried places like Cabelas? I get pull on work boots from them that are lined with thinsulate and goretex. They are listed under the western footwear section. I wear boots in the winter and the Wally World sneakers in the summer. I'm out in fields most of the time so I don't need to worry about walking on hard surfaces. Link here to all their boots and shoes: http://tinyurl.com/yewo6zc They're not cheap. There might be something in the bargain cove that would suit you.
Someone wrote:

Good shoes aren't cheap.
Cheap shoes aren't good.
You get what you pay for.
Steve

I agree. Sportsmen and hikers don't like to be cold or have sore (or cold) feet so shop where they shop. Another option is American Outfitters, but they have gone downhill in the last decade. I've been buying from a small dry-goods store in the country. They have brands like Double H, Carolina and Red Wing and they don't mind if you take a while to make sure that they fit right. Price? High - well over $100. Value? How many "cheap" pairs of shoes do you go through? You will get two or three years, maybe more, from a $150 to $200 pair (depending upon the environment that they are exposed to - oil, slate, etc). I saved my old ones for home and I have done it the opposite way too. You know, just too shabby to wear out and about but a lot of serviceable life left in them. Best of luck, Chuck
Wow..... two hundred bucks for a pair of boots? Gold lined?
Others have mentioned cabelas. I'm thinking that I've got to stop shopping at Walmart, and find a real boot store.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

*I bought a pair of Red Wing work shoes several years and I will never go back to anything else. They are expensive, but they are extremely comfortable and last a very long time. I got a new pair a few months ago even though the four year old pair that I was using were still in good shape and had the original laces. I also have custom arch supports made every year which helps my back and posture as well as my feet.

I love the Red Wing Wellington steel toes for welding. Used to go through a pair a year offshore, as the salt and drilling mud would eat the soles right off them. Good shoes are worth every dollar.
Steve

Red Wing Shoes is a good choice. I had a pair of dress RW Wellington's I wore almost daily for 20 yrs. I only quit buying RW cuz they quit making the styles/sizes I wanted. They specialize in working man shoes, construction, factory, outdoors, etc.
You spend 1/3 of your life on your feet, 1/3 sleeping. Never go cheap on mattresses or shoes. Walmart used to carry some good USA made socks (discontinued, last I heard), but their shoes are so bad they can cripple you. I wouldn't wear a pair of WM shoes at gunpoint! What are your feet worth?
nb
On 03/20/2010 09:23 PM, notbob wrote:

Yup, I wear my Red Wings every day, company kicks in for part of a new pair every year and I didn't even bother to get a new pair last year, I'm still wearing the ones from two years ago.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Jo Ann wrote:

I like their work shoes, but not so impressed with their 'pretty' shoes. The last time I tried a pair, several years ago, the part that shapes the heel (the counter, I think it is called?) was made out of plastic, rather than formed leather. It cracked on one foot, and the jagged edge worked its way through the lining, through the sock, and into my foot. Had to halfway disassemble the shoe to cut off the pointy parts, and add something back to tie things together. The molded-on outsole was not real durable either.
I have a pair of Herman Survivors that has served me rather well, but alas, my feet have gotten bigger, and I can't wear them any more. And from comments upstream in this thread, I understand the Herman brand name got sold off, and their current models are the usual discount store junk. I haven't looked personally, since I haven't seen Herman in the stores around here. I hate when that happens to a formerly trusted brand name.
Guess I'm gonna have to drive over to the next town and find a real shoe store, since all the ones left around here are self-service, and top out at size 13. If I can baseline my current size, I can then buy on line. Being older than dirt, paying upwards of a C-note for shoes still boggles my mind. :^(
--
aem sends...

I think I saw Herman Survivors in Walmart, and that's a clue. Yeah, the $100 shoes sounds a bit much, for me. I've heard of gangs with bling buying expensive tennies, but they have drug money. I work for my dollars.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

JESUS IS A FAIRYTALE It's time to crawl out of your cradle. get rid of your pacifier, and face reality !!!!!!
--
"Jesus was Gay" - Elton John

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 20:35:05 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Bass Pro Shop. You can hunt, fish, and climb ladders. A good boot that laces up and supports your ankles will make your 'dogs' suffer less.
Hmm. I drive past a Bass Pro now and again. Got to stop in and visit, one day. Thanks for a great idea.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Not at Walmart that is for sure. Where I work there are two sales trucks that come about twice a year. You may look at ordering some from places like LL Beam. YOu will not find them for $ 15, but more like $ 100 or so. The company pays for part of mine. Think the last pair I got a month or so ago was about $ 120 . Timberland boots , if I spelled it correctly.
On Mar 20, 5:35pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Redwing's....boots or shoes
expensive but worth it....resole-able at least a couple times (a decent $/mile cost I would imagine
I've worn them off and on (shoes or boots) since 1965, sometimes everyday, sometimes only occasionally, depending on my work assigments
cheers Bob
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 20:35:05 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Try on shoes near the end of the day (when you feet may be slightly larger). Examine the show closely for padding, surface materials, construction, arch, etc. Everyone has a slightly different foot shape, so one brand works for one man but not another. China-made shoes have been very good.

Go to a real shoe store. Not one at the mall either. I don't wear work boots, but the shore store I go to carries a few brands.. I wear Propet sneakers (they come in 3EEE) and Hush Puppies for shoes. You spend a lot of time on your feet so spend a few buck and get good stuff. The sneakers are about $60 to $75, shoes a bit more.