OT - work shoes

The one advantage of RW was they made shoes in extra wide widths. I got feet like Donald Duck, 4E minimum. Danner don't make 'em. OTOH, RW has degraded in the last couple decades from when I used to buy them. Less choice in widths and poorer quality. Again, it pays to shop around. You may be surprised.

I needed some serious Winter snow boots. None of the pac boots I looked at in the catalogs (Sorel, Cabela, etc) came in wide widths. I was bummed. As a goof, I tried on a pair of Sorel Caribous when they were on sale at local shoe store, expecting the worst. They fit perfectly! Bought 'em in a hearbeat. Got some toasty toes, now! ;)

I have yet to buy any, but have heard good things about Dehner custom made boots/shoes. These folks are huge suppliers of the state patrol motorcycle trooper and horse riding boot market. I may get a pair of Wellingtons. The prices seem high, but price some other custom made boots. Dehner's are relatively inexpensive and you can sometimes be fitted at local tack shops.

Good luck.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I agree. Sportsmen and hikers don't like to be cold or have sore (or cold) feet so shop where they shop. Another option is American Outfitters, but they have gone downhill in the last decade. I've been buying from a small dry-goods store in the country. They have brands like Double H, Carolina and Red Wing and they don't mind if you take a while to make sure that they fit right. Price? High - well over $100. Value? How many "cheap" pairs of shoes do you go through? You will get two or three years, maybe more, from a $150 to $200 pair (depending upon the environment that they are exposed to - oil, slate, etc). I saved my old ones for home and I have done it the opposite way too. You know, just too shabby to wear out and about but a lot of serviceable life left in them. Best of luck, Chuck

Reply to
C & E

Wow..... two hundred bucks for a pair of boots? Gold lined?

Others have mentioned cabelas. I'm thinking that I've got to stop shopping at Walmart, and find a real boot store.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Soudns right to me. I've got to stop with the $15 sneakers.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hmm. I drive past a Bass Pro now and again. Got to stop in and visit, one day. Thanks for a great idea.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The slip stop plain oxfords look good. Thanks for the link.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think I saw Herman Survivors in Walmart, and that's a clue. Yeah, the $100 shoes sounds a bit much, for me. I've heard of gangs with bling buying expensive tennies, but they have drug money. I work for my dollars.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

JESUS IS A FAIRYTALE It's time to crawl out of your cradle. get rid of your pacifier, and face reality !!!!!!

Reply to
cock&balls