OT: Windows 10

Page 2 of 2
On Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 8:29:24 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

It's still there, the usual folders-in-a-holder icon.
On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 08:29:19 -0400, Stormin Mormon

No It is on the task bar at the bottom of the screen by default

On 8/23/2015 8:29 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Amazing how these things get started. Yes, Window Explorer is gone. I wonder what this new thing called File Explorer is. Any idea? I'm afraid to try it out.
In addition to everything you had in the past, it shows the last 10 files you had open.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

restart it..

So far Windows 10 work better that windows 7. It's faster loading, though I have a startup app that takes far too long to load. Haven't found out why yet. I suspect that Windows 10 gives it lower priority than Win 10 services starting up upon booting. It does a fine job installing drivers - at least the ones I use. For example, NVIDIA graphics drivers. With XP, 7 and 8.1 I had to download graphics driver from NVIDIA. Nowadays for a typical PC user the OS is primarily a communications device. Even a lot of gaming is done on-line. You can set what gets communicated by setting the options by clicking Settings > Privacy. My Windows 10 has the same GUI as Windows 7, which I adjusted to look like my XP desktop. A few minor differences, easily adjusted to. For those waiting, I see no reason to wait as long as they have an image to fall back to. Of course there's no reason right now to move from Windows 7, especially if you find "change" painful. Most likely it will take some hours to set Windows 10 up to your liking. But some people will run with it as is.
On 8/22/2015 8:18 AM, Pavel314 wrote:

With reticence, I just did the upgrade from Win 8.1.
Comcast, isp, informed me this am that speeds were tripling so I figured it would not take too long.
But, took longer than expected, over an hour and a half, and appeared not to take at first and did second download.
So far, only minor, cosmetic changes observed.
It does default your browser to Edge but Norton popped up and said Edge did not support their ad-on and easily sent me to browser option defaults to reset to Firefox.
On 8/27/2015 2:39 PM, Frank wrote:

Edge is similar to Chrome in appearance. I've not seen any advantage to using it so far. I have had a couple of times where is said the website I wanted is not suited to Edge and offered to start IE.
I don't see any big difference, but Chrome has better auto fill in features than Edge at the moment.
On 8/27/2015 3:27 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I like Firefox and see that Edge does not import its bookmarks.
Wanted to do a Peacekeeper check but see it is no longer supported.
I had checked IE, Chrome, Pale Moon, Waterfox and Firefox on it and Firefox was by far the fastest browser.
Frank wrote:

Java does not work on Edge.
On 08/28/2015 09:35 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Java applets don't work on much of anything these days if you haven't noticed. Chrome was the first to do away with the plugins. On IE, the plugin was actually an ActiveX control and they're on the shitlist too. Flash will be the next to go, not a minute too soon.

thank god

Symantec. Thinly disquised virus.
On 08/30/2015 03:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Absolutely agree!
But Adobe is just taking advantage of the willing dupes that use Windows.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

and BLOATED

Yes, it is an option. There are a few web sites that are supposed to be better used with IE, but I've had good luck with them in Edge.