OT Who reads this forum?

Page 2 of 3

Secret Agent, Super Genius, Underwear Model.
I'm Mike. I'm in my mid 20s and just bought my first house, a fixer-upper. I've always liked to work on things, and find owning my own house refreshing after living in one apartment or another over the last few years. I find it fun to prioritized what needs to be done first, how much money it'll take over how much I have. Same goes for time.
I work in manufacturing, just moved up into the safety/training department, so I got a bit of a raise to help find repairs/upgrades to my house.
I live in the great outdoor furnace of the Southwest. --Mike

64 y.o., two sons, married 40 yrs, traveled the world for 31 years, then got tired of it!. Always loved tools, DIY projects, and have an endless list of planned improvements, small and large, on our house. This group rocks, as for an unmoderated group, it is relatively troll free, behaves itself, and has some really good advice, which I both provide on occasion, and ask for...
Roger wrote:

That's gneiss :)
-- dadiOH _____________________________

This is Turtle.
I was riding my bicycle by here and had a flate and come in here to see about getting some air for my tire and been here ever since. Oh Yea, I work on those Air cooling things.
TURTLE

You forgot to mention the 'Air heating things'. :-)
~kjpro~

Information Administrator) married to a harp builder (rharps.com - yes, that's us in the pictures).
My husband used to be great at fixing things around the house but not anymore. I am trying to learn a few things but I'm not very mechanically-inclined.
The big project here now is putting up a garage which will be used as a wood shop. They had to tear down our carport which had been a hazard since a bad snowstorm in March last year. I looks like they will be able to pour the concrete tomorrow.
There are some very helpful people in this group.

HVAC Owner/Tech Background Experiance....Construction, Electronics, Mechanical, Appliances, Audio/Video, Communications, Etc, Etc....
BTW, I might suggest there are a couple here that say they are in the buz, but I wouldn't have them in my enemies house!
~kjpro~

Machine shop owner.......
I use computer controlled machine tools and cad cam modeling to fabricate precision machined parts for end users ranging from aerospace and marine biology research to tools for modelmakers and parts for computer and laser controlled cut-to-length saw accessories for the wood products and cabinetmaking arena.
In my spare time I deferr maintenance on our 50 year old 7435 sf home that sits on an 8 acre tract along the Columbia River in SW Washington State.
--

SVL

40 year old bachelor from Michigan, industrial mechanic/mechanic millright with a farm background.
I am a licensed electrical contractor with a bachelor of fine arts degree in filmmaking. I have seen many wiring mistakes by professionals and do-it-yourselfers. I have found that there are not many books available that cover all permutations of an electrical installation, particularly in an existing structure. I am currently developing a series of instructional videos for electrical installations that provide detailed information and images on safe and code compliant wiring. Not all houses and buildings are the same and were built during different time periods using different materials in different geographical zones. It is my intention to include solutions to many variables that an installer may come across in the course of wiring.
This forum provides me with ideas for my scripts and it also gives me an opportunity to offer suggestions based on my experiences to those who sincerely need assistance.

Training Industry Professional Partner of Energy Provider Professional Co-parent of: 1 X Defence Force Aerospace Technician 1 X Industrial Relations Professional
the Pathway starts @ SugarCane Farmer > Electrical Fitter/Mechanic > HVAC&R Industry Professional (Mining & Shipping) > Info-tech (Networks) Consultant ..and goes on.
...to continue in that non-pretentious vein,,You did ask..! :-
I use the non de plume <bitzah> as it is a variation on Bitzer, a machine that 'ate' some four digits of my RH leaving me with a poor efficiency at the RET key :-) That, and the witnessing of two fatal electrocutions (plus subsequent Court appearances) leaves me somewhat of a Safety Nutter.
I am possibly only 'passing through' , yet again, as it is our Winter. With things being a tad slow I have the time to dabble :-) I lurk more than not, finding the exposure to those things 'international' ..refreshing. Yes, I am Australian :-)
BTZ
Home http://tinyurl.com/6pjmw
bitzah wrote:

Over 40 years in commercial construction most years spent as a construction superintendent. I currently am in charge of the construction work for a school district with well over a million square feet under roof. I stay very current on ADA compliance, code compliance, structural integrity, and methods and materials.
We have an eclectic assortment of building styles, ages, and equipment.

On 08 Aug 2004, Johnson wrote

Building historian; worked with architects and developers for just under 30 years, and fiddled about with the 5 homes I've owned during that period.
--
Cheers,
Harvey

Single homeowner happy for all the helpful hints she can find to fix and maintain a home, or at least be able to know what the repair people are talking about when I have to call them in.

58. PhD research chemist, currently now safety officer/administrator. I have been following and sometimes contributing to this group since mid 90's. Here because primarily I am cheap ( according to my wife). My father was very handy, and I picked some of my knowledge from him. I have a fairly extensive workshop and find many jobs I can do myself. Usually the problem is just getting all the options and methods straight. This group usually supplies that role well.
Gary Dyrkacz snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+ http://home.attbi.com/~dyrgcmn /

in the construction business, but decided the irregular paychecks and prospect of hard outdoor manual labor as I aged weren't as nice as a regular (and higher) paycheck and air conditioned work environment. Made the mistake of letting current employers see me with a screwdriver in my hand, so they promptly labeled me a Technical Wizard (which I'm not), and moved me into the computer shop, where I currently work in computer security. In the land of the blind, etc. I do occasionally get to crawl through the bowels of the 100 year old office building I work in to spec out cable runs and other remodelings. (It was a hell of a building until the feds got hold of it- some of the buried spaces still hold hints of the former grandeur.) As the years passed I found myself missing the feeling of actually repairing/creating or finishing some tangible physical item, so I am currently looking to buy a house with room to set up a very basic woodshop, so I can at least build my own crude shelves and other furniture. Bought a house down south for my father (a house designer) to live in, and got to work with him designing an addition to it, but (sadly) didn't have time to go down and swing a hammer with him again. Hoping to go down this fall after weather cools, and work with him on some finishing touches like a porch roof.
WTMI, huh?
aem sends....
040808 1231 - ameijers posted:

Well good; now I can't wait for the second chapter...