OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

Up here, generally, if it is hot enough to need AC it is too humid for a "swamp cooler". Most of the time just reducing the humidity a bit makes it bearable - but when it's hot AND humid, we run the AC.

Reply to
clare

In some really important ways, you are missing big items. Most of the cold coils heat transport is from condensation energy, there is no equivalent heat of evaporation on the hot side so it all goes into temperature rise (sensible heat). Unless of course it is built very like conventional AC and the heat is exhausted outside.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

It had its moments but mostly boring. They had silicon there but the big question of the day was "Huh?". That question was never answered. ...even decades later. Intel is a one-trick pony. Always has been.

Civilized? Is that why it's so dangerous?

You do know that there are a *lot* of single-family homes in NYC, too? Manhattan NYC.

No, you have to hate people.

The editorial page is even funnier.

Reply to
krw

The NYT reeks of partisanship and crude intellectual dishonesty. It has become a parody of its former respectable self. My wife likes it, so we get the Sunday edition delivered.

Reply to
John Larkin

Not sure what you mean by "you are missing big items". I think you just agreed with me 100%. The cold coil does not cool the air as much as the hot coil warms the air. All of the heat of condensation ends up warming the air in the room. I guess I didn't explain it clearly.

Reply to
rickman

Try this: Dehumidifier contains an electric motor which gives off heat when it runs. The cooling and condensing are equal, so they can be ignored. Check the wattage used, and that's the added (electric) heat.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Plus latent heat of vaporization -- you're de-evaporating water, which gives off quite a lot by volume.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

That is incorrect. The hot and cold coils provide the same amount of cooling or heating other than the inefficiencies, but the cooling does not all go into making the air cool. The water condensing puts heat into the coil without changing temperature. This heat at the warm coil

*does* fully go to heating the air.

Look up heat of condensation or evaporation. Same with freezing/melting. Heat flows, but temperature does not change.

Reply to
rickman

Silly! You de-evaporate water by WEIGHT. Not volume. And some call it "condensing" the water. In any case, yes, that's a lot of latent heat.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And I guess I didn't explain clearly enough what those BTUs of latent heat were doing.

Reply to
clare

Almost. Add the latent heat of condensation like I calculated in an earlier post. Still - it is a pittance.

Reply to
clare

Pittance? You English talk funny.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

consumption.

That is an understatement.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

And he's conflating heat with temperature.

Reply to
trader_4

Except of course that it all balances out again when the air mixes. The drier warmend air that comes out of the dehumidifier quickly mixes with the rest of the air, which still has higher humidity. That slightly warmer and drier air then transfers it's energy to the rest of volume of air in the room/house, heating the air and water in it, until equilibrium is attained again.

And back to the original claim, that a dehumidifier is like running the AC and heat at the same time, it's not. That's because when you do that, you're pumping heat out of the house, then running heat, ie electric, gas, whatever, to replace the energy you just pumped needlessly outside. A dehumdifier avoids that.

Reply to
trader_4

I'm gobsmacked! Your barmy use of "conflate"!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Anybody else here think ceiling fans are just pointless all together?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Which direction is this usenet thread supposed to blow?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not me. I think they produce a breeze in summer that is both cooling and soothing. Even if you're outside, which 75F day is more pleasant? One that is dead calm, or one with a light breeze?

Reply to
trader_4

I did!

I used to think they were just for making flies avoid the room, and kept envisioning people in a smoke filled room sitting around a table covered in green felt playing cards, etc.

But, after finally trying one, I see the advantage in 'low humidity' conditions. Makes the air 'seem' cooler and doesn't stuff the pockets of the ultities firms.

Reply to
RobertMacy