(OT) What are those Square Smart phone things?

Page 1 of 2
Everywhere I look lately I see these square boxes that are filled with a bunch of dots and three of the corners have small boxes in them. I had no idea what they were until eating at Taco Bell, and there was one on their packaging that said "scan with your smartphone app". HUH?????
I must be too old to understand any of this stuff anymore. My cellphone makes phone calls and can send texts (if I knew anyone that knew how to read or respond to a text). There is no scanner, no camera, no internet, nothing but a basic phone.
Anyhow, what do these square things do? Is there actually some information inside of it? To me it looks like nothing but a bunch of ink sprayed in the box randomly. And while I'm asking about this, what is an "APP"?
About all I can figure is that these are similar to a barcode..... But for what reason????
I'll probably never own a smart phone, since my standard cellphone is all I need for emergencies or to make an occasisonal call from my car. My computer takes care of my internet needs, and my digital camera takes pictures, so I see no reason to have any need for a smartphone. But since I am seeing these things everywhere lately, I had to ask what they are for.
The older I get, the more useless all this technology seems to be!!!! Even the internet is becoming useless as everyone leaves the newsgroups and websites in favor of Facebook, which (in my opinion) is totally worthless.
Thanks
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 30, 6:42 pm, snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

They are called QR codes, short for Quick Response codes.
If you use a bar code reader app (application) on your smart phone, they will take you directly to the website for the product the code was on.
They were originally used in the auto industry (I think Toyota invented them) to track vehicles as they went down the line. As far as I understand it, they are faster than bar codes.
They are now used in various marketing venues, such as on products, in magazines, store fronts, etc. Since anyone with a smart phone can download a free bar code reading app and use the phone's camera to read bar codes and QR codes, it's a great way for companies to get consumers to visit their websites.
BTW...bar code reading apps are one of the reasons places like Best Buy are struggling. A tech savvy consumer can go into Best Buy, etc., put their hands on various items, talk to the salespeople and gather a lot of knowledge. They can then pull out their smart phones, scan the bar code, find the best on-line price and purchase it before they even the leave the store.
Add pictures here
✖

I agree about Facebook, but I've changed my mind about smart phones.
You'd be amazed at how handy it can be to find information about many things. I'm travelling right now and I stopped at a motel. They gave me a rate and I told them it was not the best they could do. I had already checked rates and showed the girl at the desk the rate on my phone. $10 saved!
At the hotel I'm at in Savannah, we were looking for a place to eat. I went to the app called "Places" and found restaurants near us and reviews for them.
The list goes on and on. I'm very happy with my Android based phone.
Add pictures here
✖

Ditto, though it has done some goofy things.
Add pictures here
✖
wrote in message

My phone isn't smart enough, but this site lets you send a picture of a code in a text or email. Then you get a response in a few minutes.
http://snapmyinfo.com /
Add pictures here
✖

Yep. The more functions they build into smart phones, the better those phones get.
Since I got my BlackBerry, I haven't opened the map book that's in my briefcase. The online map combined with the little moving dot that shows my location is WAY handier than any paper map, and a lot more convenient than a Garmin.
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
✖

Only problem is that some of the Direction finders are quite stupid and will often give you a far longer route and not be able to readjust when: a) you don't want to go the way they "suggest" b) you don't go that way. Recent experience, I was directed to do a 30+ mile detour on trafficky highways, instead of going straight down an unused secondary road, which got me there about 10 minutes sooner. Not to mention that it was a more scenic drive.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 2 May 2012 07:36:00 -0500, "Attila.Iskander"

Every one I've seen has a way of setting a detour. You can also set a waypoint to a location on the desire route.

My wife's old GPS would nag incessantly. My cell phone notices that there is another path the direction I'm headed and will adjust soon enough.

My cell phone can give several possible routes and you can choose the one you want just by tapping it on the screen.
Add pictures here
✖

The map function on my wife's iPhone and the one on my BlackBerry can suggest a route if you ask them, but there's absoutely nothing to stop you from ignoring that and simply making your own route, using the little moving dot as your guide; you don't get scolded for changing the route.
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
✖

<sigh> <Some people are not too bright> Never said that you can NOT make your own decisions you can NOT follow a different route you get scolded for not following suggested route.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 17:42:57 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

Do you know what a UPC is? These square thingys are 2-D UPCs. An "App" is a small application program (applet). It runs on the cell phone's computer.

The same reason. The camera takes a picture and decodes it. It can then hop on the web and look for the product that matches that "code". With a cell phone, you can walk into a store and take a picture of the 2-D UPC glyph, and an APP will tell you where on the web you can buy it the cheapest. BestBuy doesn't like these things. ;-)

I once though I didn't need a cell phone. I was wrong. In fact, I'm using it now. I just moved into a new house and have no Internet or TV service yet. My cell phone is connecting my laptop to the Internet now. I had to stick it in a window upstairs to get 3G service, but it works.

It's not the technology that's getting useless.

We agree there.
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 30, 11:38 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

No, they are not UPCs. They are QR (Quick Response) codes. Two very different things.
A QR code usually contains much more information than a UPC considering that it can hold more than 4000 characters (letters, numbers and symbols) while a UPC can only contain 12 numbers.
A QR code is not product specific like a UPC. It can provide a web address, link, or even a phone number.

Add pictures here
✖

No, they're not different at all. Both are means of encoding a string of numbers.

Two dimensions gives you more data than one, who wudda thunk!

<Zzzz>
Add pictures here
✖
On May 1, 11:59 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Not different *at all*? At all? Wow!
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant that both are means of "encoding a string of numbers, letters and other characters"
Beyond that, the differences are huge, ranging from their intended purpose, the amount of data that can be held, the error correction schemes, the ease of creation, etc.

I guess that makes them different from each other.

Add pictures here
✖

You're a member of Pendants of America, right?

No, the difference aren't huge at all. It sorta makes sense that you can encode more data in 2-D than 1-D, and that payload can have more uses. ...but the idea is *exactly* the same.

You're an idiot, but that doesn't make you less of a person.
...can't even be bothered to trim posts. Figures.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 2, 10:24 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Ahh... the old "I can't admit I'm wrong so I'll start calling you names" strategy.
That sure shows your level of maturity.
Add pictures here
✖

Wrong. It's the old "you're an idiot, so I'll call you an idiot", strategy.

No, it shows that you're an idiot.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 3, 10:53 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Scan this and then respond.
http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=300x300&chl=Tell%20me%20how%20this%20is%20a%20UPC.&chld=H |0
...can't even be bothered to trim posts. Figures.
Add pictures here
✖
In article

Many companies are incorporating QR codes onto their business cards. Scan the code with your smart phone and the data moves instantly to your address book or contacts. No more mistyped names, phone numbers or email addresses.
-Frank
--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.sharpbywarner.com /

Smart phones are cool. Companies are always looking for a way to pitch there product. I was in Walmart and there was a display for exercise equipment. I don't remember the exact instructions, but if you had a smart phone, you could read a bar code or something and watch a demo right there in the store. Most people pass it right up, but it seemed like a clever idea for people looking for exercise equipment.
I would love to be able to scan a bar code in the instruction manual or from the box and be linked to the online version of the manual as I can't see as well as I used to. It would also be nice to see a video of how to assemble something instead of having to read the instructions.
Add pictures here
✖