what are those poles called?

what's the proper name given to those metal poles that builders use to hold up ceilings and overhead beams while they work? They're adjustable in length and have a centre threaded sleeve for fine adjustment (can't find a single one on google). Thanks for any help.

Reply to
tg

Acro prop?

Regards, Eddie

Reply to
Eddie G0EHV

thanks eddie

Reply to
tg

We always called them acro jacks.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I have an Acrow tool which does just about anything that a Land Rover driver might need that isn't in the tool box - except prop up buildings. Big brother to a Leatherman.

It's odd that I've not seen the Acrow name around for years except in connection with their props. Yet once it seemed so well known that I can still remember the way the printed it with a small "A" tapering out to a big "W". I can't remember what they did though. Was it tool making for construction and tool hire?

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar Iredale

"Acrow" is a trade name, but is the name by which these things are usually known, like "Hoover"... (Just "prop" would be the generic name I think)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Acrow props were invented by William de Vigier. He didn't think his own name was suitable for marketing a product, and it came near the end of any alphabetical listing, so he used his lawyers name, A Crowe, to market his company's products. William de Vigier died only last year.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

I'd always assumed it was from Greek for high - acro. As in acrobat and acropolis.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks. Interesting.

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar Iredale

Interesting.

"Ere mate, pass us a couple of De Vigiers to hold up this lintel..."

I think the guy made a good decision!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Especially when his customers all have the same name - "Mate". They don't need any more confusion in their lives....

It's not just builders though. There are a lot in the plumbing and electrical trades as well. I met several in Plumbcenter and WF this week, although there was one guy called Alan. He seemed a bit out of place among all the Mates there.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Why don't you call them by their proper name, Acrow Props?

Reply to
Steve Firth

ISTR the Acrow (as in props) company going bust many years ago. A quick check at Companies House does show an "Acrow (Engineers) Ltd. that was dissolved in 1990 - I suspect that was the one. There are several companies currently in existence though with names beginning with Acrow.

The regd. Trade Mark "Acrow" - first registered in 1938 - now seems to belong to:

Ashtead Plant Hire Company Limited Ashtead House, Business Park

8, Barnett Wood Lane, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT22 7DG
Reply to
Andy Wade

Cue the Monty Python sketch..

Dave

Reply to
gort

That'll be...foundation support props then,before the name Acrow prop became houshold. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Hum, interesting thought, and sounds very reasonable. However, it's not the story he told himself.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The Acrow prop was invented by William A. de Vigier, a Swiss engineer who settled in London before WW2. He chose the name of his solicitor, a Mr A. Crow, to grace his invention.

The William A. de Vigier Foundation, based in Switzerland, has provided direct financial support for innovative young entrepreneurs setting up their own companies since 1987:

Tony Polson

Props hold things up where they are, jacks lift them further. If you try and raise something on an Acrow prop, it's far from easy work and there's a good chance you'll break the collar in trying.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

More amazing knowledge from the inmates of uk.d-i-y ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

1) She's a gurl so doesn't appreciate the value of calling things by their real names. 2) She wouldn't use anything so 'new fangled' preferring to use lengths of hand whittled pine lashed together with some dead animal gizzards. 3) She's from 'up Norf' .. 4) Because.

All the best .. ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m