(OT) Welcome back the Newspaper boy

Page 2 of 2
On Nov 19, 5:34am, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

No ironymeter can withstand your assault. -----
- gpsman
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

full of ads and has few news articles, and those are poorly written. A number of nationally known papers have moved to the internet and stopped their paper editions.
And you are correct in noting that the online newspapers are containing more and more ads that pop up over whatever you are reading, with an ad that is often targeted directly at you. Many papers now want money to access their online editions. One I read recently put a limit on how many articles you can read (10 per month)without subscribing. They usually do this with a cookie, so you can get around it by removing the cookie, but I'm sure they will be working on something that is more effective.
I read six or seven papers a day online, not that I buy what they are writing, but it is interesting to see how their biases affect their reporting of the same story. I couldn't afford to subscribe to all those papers in the print edition, and they couldn't deliver them to me as quickly as they can online, so there remain some advantages to using the internet to keep up on the news.
The internet is changing, and is not the free ride we have been used to. My feeling is that their selling ads is a way for them to stay in business, and my having to work around those ads is a small price for me to pay to get my news. One thing that irks me is that the ads change so frequently; if I find a page with an article that I like and an ad that interests me, if I read the article to the end (often on second and third pages), then go back to the original page to read the ad, it will no longer be there, having been replaced by another.
I thought usenet would die when all the ISPs stopped offering it, but it has managed to survive as I think the internet does not often offer a similar service. But I think also that the only people using usenet are old-timers who are hanging on. Younger people do not even know it is there. None of my kids, all adults now, knows about usenet.

I agree that usenet is mostly older people. But at least 90% of the groups are dead. That's the reason that the surviving groups, such as alt.home.repair have more off topic posts, such as this one, because the appropriate groups are dead. I have asked young people if they use "newsgroups" or "usenet". You're right, none of them know what that means..... But they sure try to get people like me to join their (BARF) Facebook!!!! No Thanks!
On 11/20/2012 11:57 PM, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

I saw the dangers to privacy, opportunity for fraud and the fact that the social websites like Facebook would become data mines for government and corporations wishing to take advantage of people willingly giving out information on every aspect of their lives. It's astounding to me that people put their whole lives online oblivious to the hazards. O_o
TDD
snipped-for-privacy@home.com says...

Turn off or disable some or all of the "add-on's" in the browser (like flash). Web sites load a LOT faster!
On 11/19/2012 4:34 AM, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

"Now get the hell off of my lawn!"
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

There are STILL home deliveries of a daily newspapers?
How quaint. I had no idea.