OT: Walmart facing competition!

Page 1 of 4
"German discount grocer Aldi plans to open at least 75 stores in the United States in the coming year, hoping to draw traditional Wal-Mart shoppers to even cheaper deals during the economic downturn, The Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday."
Prices will be up to 20% less than Walmart!
With pic of graffiti-covered Aldi store: http://www.thelocal.de/society/20090113-16723.html
Original Wall Street Journal article http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123180518793975423.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

75 little Aldi stores is hardly a fly speck compared to Walmart. Have you ever shopped at one? They don't take anything but cash, and they do not provide bags, among other "innovations".
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Plus they don't have much "selection" on some things
too much selection is not necessairly a good thing.

A couple of WRONGs here.
they do take debit cards and they DO supply bags.
and yes, we shop regularly at one. We've tried every item they have and know what we like and what we don't.

On Jan 14, 9:43am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

If they don't take food stamps they will never compete with WM. I think half the grocery line customers pay with them.

Aldi does take food stamps, and many people wisely shop there with them.
Re: OT: Walmart facing competition!:

Yes sir. Most of the food stamp shoppers I see in the market look very wise indeed.

It ill be interesting to see how well they do. One is opening about 1/4 mile from a Wal Mart store about 30 miles from me. I pass that way once in a while so I will stop to check them out, but it has to be good and cheap for me to go back. I don't grocery shop at Wal Mart. I'd never buy the adulterated meats they sell. OTOH, a box of Cheerios is a box of Cheerios. (But a box of store brand may not be)
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

what they have is very cheap. Milk at 2.79 vs 3.49 or eggs at 1.29 vs 1.99 compared to local. Much is private brand stuff. Comes with double guarantee. They already have lots of stores in the USA. I do not believe for one second that WalMart is selling food at cost. Maybe one or two specials but the rest is just so-so.
Lou

Although the dictionary doesn't say it, I believe a supermarket was a combination of a grocery market, fruit and vegetable market, butcher shop, fish market, and bakery. Or at least more than one of those. So I think it is possible to have small supermarkets if they sell the right things.
I actually know a supermarket here, that started around 1990, that is a partnership of several guys who each had separate stores in the categories above.

There is an Aldi about a half mile from here. I've been there once. I've never bought food other than a candy bar at Walmart, but I wasn't impressed by the food at Aldi's. Sometimes off-brands are fine, but something they're not. For example, off brand canned corn seems to be cut off more closely to the cob, and it has hard, inedible parts at the bottom of many kernels. It ruins the whole experience. :) I could check out other canned foods, but I gave up and just buy Del Monte, which I don't think Aldi's had.

Wal-Marts prepared hot chicken wings taste like plastic.
cm

take 'em out the bag....
All you scholars who think bush messed up..... You ain\'t seen nothin\' yet!
Just wait. You\'ll be cryin\' for mercy after a while with Bro Bama

ROTFL!
On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:40:47 -0600, "Steve Barker"

Sometimes I eat cookies or something before checking out, and then I ask the cashier for a discount because the package has been opened.
I'm usually eating and laughing at the same time, so no one has given me one.

I've bought a couple of those roto chickens. They looked so good but they tasted so bad. Not bad actually, but sub-par. I'd rather go to Kentucky Fried Chicken where the food is good.
Or buy my own chicken and cook it. Unfortunately, very hard to get a whole chicken cut up at many stores, and I don't like to wait until the butcher cuts one up. And I definitely don't like paying extra per pound to eat the same piece over and over again. I like the variety of all the pieces.

Buy whole chickens and cut them up yourself. It's not hard to do and it doesn't take a long time. I learned to do it when I was a teenager.
Cindy Hamilton

No doubt she's pleasantly surprised that you aren't like too many others that don't bother. <sigh>
--
:)
JR

Talk to the Deli Department Manager. S/he may have useful information and may be able to accommodate your need.
There's a good reason the roasted chicken is placed near the grocery entrance: The flavorful odor of the food sells a lot of the product - and encourages the purchase of OTHER groceries after you pass by.
--
:)
JR

The last plastic I ate tasted like WM's hot chicken wings.
--
<sigh>
JR