OT Virus Protection

Page 3 of 5

MS exploits are open when you install. XP was the worst offender, as I can tell. The end user should decide what is open/on/off
Mr. Gibson* provides a Shields UP!! testing. Test your router here. Get in Stealth Mode. Antivirus software is only a portion of the security.
* 83,648,763 system tests The Internet's quickest, most popular, reliable and trusted, free Internet security checkup and information service. And now in its Port Authority Edition, it's also the most powerful and complete. Check your system here, and begin learning about using the Internet safely.
http://www.grc.com/intro.htm
Test All Service Ports.
"Determine the status of your system's first 1056 ports"
aemeijers wrote:

The most virulent and destructive virus ever was loosed on a UNIX machine. It infected almost every machine on the internet and caused incalculable grief before it was removed.

I bought a machine last month (Vista x64), asking the Clerk about running AV tools.
He said too me: I run Sun Microsystems (OS) Then I said, your are not that old!
I'm X years old, he said. "you sure don't "look it."
HeyBub wrote:

Ah yes- the Morris worm. I remember that. Somewhere, I have a five-inch 360k floppy of the usenet messages in real time describing the hunt and the recommended cures. (back in the text era, you could fit a lot of messages in 360k).
-- aem sends...

It was PC world, not Pc mag that did the comparison a few months ago, I just updated to new norton by download.

I use AVG Free it works fine for me. Here is a very good link for PC help. snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com JP
Lotus wrote:

I used AVG free for years, but had trouble with it a few months ago (conflicted with installation and use of turbo tax) and have switched to Avira's free AntiVir Personal. If you are willing to see Avira's once-daily pop-up screen that tries to get you to upgrade to their paid version, AntiVir seems to be less of a burden on PC overhead than AVG. Also, it does a complete scan of my hard drive in about 60% of the time that it used to take AVG. Although it lacks the real time e-mail scanning feature of AVG, AntiVir's real-time guard would alarm if I attempted to run any infected e-mail download.
Lotus wrote:

I use a mechanical device instead of software. I was in the mens's room of a bar and there was a vending machine selling a product "For the Prevention of Disease". I bought one and slipped it over the modem and I've not had a virus since.
I'm also putting a couple on my hands to avoid the Swine Flu. Some people snicker when they see them, but they work so far.

I have used both Norton and AVG...Both are OK but I perfer Norton because it has anti-spyware built in and is all automatic...With AVG I had seperate spyware and firewall software which was a pain...Had ONE problem with Norton showing my subscription expired , which it wasn't , a while back and a nice AMERICAN lady working out of her home fixed it using remote access while I watched which was kinda cool...LOL ..Haven't noticed the slow down others complain about but I do have a newer computer with a big hard drive...

For full protection you need to wear one your head
On Sun, 3 May 2009 04:47:51 -0700 (PDT), ransley

Correct. See this short Naked Gun Love Scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YFC0O393DQ

Peter,
This from another group, and tells how to disable the nag screen.
Credit:
Avira. I liked it so much, I decided to pop for the registered version. The newest version also has real-time malware protection.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/AntiVir-Personal-Edition.shtml
There IS a "nag screen" in the free version (trying to "nag" you into upgrading) but it can be disabled - along with the startup screen.
http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm
Oren wrote:

Oren,
Thanks very much for the helpful reference. The methods specify how to disable the execution of avnotify.exe. I believe that I've done this by an alternate and easier method: e.g., by configuring the "Defense+" part of my COMODO firewall program to "isolate" avnotify.exe from any execution. Indeed, it does prevent the nag screen.
However, there is a very useful function of avnotify.exe which is also blocked. When AntiVir alerts on a virus, an alert screen pops up with user choices. Near the top of that screen is a link to the Avira web page describing the specific offending code. With avnotify.exe running, that link is functional. With avnotify.exe blocked from running, that link is dead.
I've decided to endure the nag screen for the convenience of being able to rapid and easily learn about the item that has triggered the alert. Peter
4ax.com:

I hope this works! I hadn't been bothering me much, but I'll be better off without the nag.
--
Best regards
Han

Oops. Hadn't seen Peter's response. Will revert.
--
Best regards
Han

Will the software Quarantine the virus, without a splash screen or popup notify?
I mean to kill a splash screen, should not prevent the AV protection from protecting and doing a quarantine of the virus.
Clarity?
wrote in

Just that I would want to be notified. So far I haven't had real viruses, just false alarms. A pity really, but I have deleted those false alarm files. Example: A Eudora mailbox that hadn't changed in years suddenly gets recognized as having a virus that supposedly was already 3 years old. Impossible to locate the exact virus, so must have been a false recognition. Since I didn't need those few email messages anymore, I deleted it. But it was nice to get notified anyway.
I should remember how to report false alarms ...
--
Best regards
Han
Oren wrote:

It doesn't prevent AV protection or enable a quarantine. Sorry if I was not clear. What I thought I said (and meant to say) was that disabling avnotify.exe disables the convenient link on the AV notification pop-up screen that allows for easy navigation directly to Avira's detailed information about the offending code. It does not disable any of the detection, removal, or isolation functions. Peter
wrote in

And I don't deny that. I merely said that I wanted to be notified. I admit English is not my native language (Dutch is), but I think I can reasonably reason in American English.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Han, I am a terrible student of foreign languages and as a teacher of English as a second language to immigrants, I appreciate the frustration when you think you are understanding something correctly. I suspect that the issue here is not the ability to reason, just accurate translation. I'll use different words: with avnotify.exe disabled, you still are notified by AntiVir if it detects suspicious code. The alert screen pops up. The choices to fix, ignore, quarantine, delete etc. still work. However, you lose the convenience of easily finding out details about that code at Avira's web site by clicking on the link that also appears in that pop-up screen. Peter