OT Virus Protection

The last three or four times I've called helpdesks for American products, I've gotten ... Philipino, India, Singapore and one who wouldn't disclose location. No difficulty that I recall understanding their English - better than average American :o)

Reply to
norminn

From an understanding standpoint, I had much less trouble with Bangalore than Atlanta, but that is just me.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

You've been lucky, or the companies that hire them are finally paying attention to what the customers have been telling them. Just as an example, I hate calling Dishnet, and try to time it to get a US helpdesk, before 1700 EST. Their India helpdesk is useless.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Oren,

Thanks very much for the helpful reference. The methods specify how to disable the execution of avnotify.exe. I believe that I've done this by an alternate and easier method: e.g., by configuring the "Defense+" part of my COMODO firewall program to "isolate" avnotify.exe from any execution. Indeed, it does prevent the nag screen.

However, there is a very useful function of avnotify.exe which is also blocked. When AntiVir alerts on a virus, an alert screen pops up with user choices. Near the top of that screen is a link to the Avira web page describing the specific offending code. With avnotify.exe running, that link is functional. With avnotify.exe blocked from running, that link is dead.

I've decided to endure the nag screen for the convenience of being able to rapid and easily learn about the item that has triggered the alert. Peter

Reply to
Peter

None

Happily using Linux for many years. Quite happy with how much faster the system works without the overhead of an anti-virus app running in the background.

Reply to
Jim

AVG works pretty well. I ran it for quite a few years. I recently switched to avast! which I like a little more.

I also run the Ashampoo firewall.

I do not like the Norton or McAfee products at all and I see no reason to spend money on AV products when there are several excellent freeware programs to choose from.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

I tried free AVG but found that it slowed down my system. Free Avast has a small footprint, does not affect speed of my system and has caught several viruses before they got into the system.

I also use Acronis True Image once a month. If my computer gets infected. or something else goes wrong with the OS, I just restore the previous image and my troubles are over. Would not live without it.

Reply to
Walter R.

MS exploits are open when you install. XP was the worst offender, as I can tell. The end user should decide what is open/on/off

Mr. Gibson* provides a Shields UP!! testing. Test your router here. Get in Stealth Mode. Antivirus software is only a portion of the security.

  • 83,648,763 system tests The Internet's quickest, most popular, reliable and trusted, free Internet security checkup and information service. And now in its Port Authority Edition, it's also the most powerful and complete. Check your system here, and begin learning about using the Internet safely.

Test All Service Ports.

"Determine the status of your system's first 1056 ports"

Reply to
Oren

I use avgfree, and they changed it so that I was to choose a 2 hour period during which it would upgrade the definitions. I did that and all was fine until my schedule changed and I was never on the computer during those two hours. I had assumed it would do it when I logged on if the computer was off during the scheduled time, but it didn't.

I changed the time period and all was well.

Reply to
mm

Oren wrote in news:snvov4hjfa1mf4s5b5e83rfl41n6psvv0i@

4ax.com:

I hope this works! I hadn't been bothering me much, but I'll be better off without the nag.

Reply to
Han

Han wrote in news:Xns9BFFA58885C3Fikkezelf@

216.151.153.73:

Oops. Hadn't seen Peter's response. Will revert.

Reply to
Han

Will the software Quarantine the virus, without a splash screen or popup notify?

I mean to kill a splash screen, should not prevent the AV protection from protecting and doing a quarantine of the virus.

Clarity?

Reply to
Oren

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Just that I would want to be notified. So far I haven't had real viruses, just false alarms. A pity really, but I have deleted those false alarm files. Example: A Eudora mailbox that hadn't changed in years suddenly gets recognized as having a virus that supposedly was already 3 years old. Impossible to locate the exact virus, so must have been a false recognition. Since I didn't need those few email messages anymore, I deleted it. But it was nice to get notified anyway.

I should remember how to report false alarms ...

Reply to
Han

The most virulent and destructive virus ever was loosed on a UNIX machine. It infected almost every machine on the internet and caused incalculable grief before it was removed.

Reply to
HeyBub

It doesn't prevent AV protection or enable a quarantine. Sorry if I was not clear. What I thought I said (and meant to say) was that disabling avnotify.exe disables the convenient link on the AV notification pop-up screen that allows for easy navigation directly to Avira's detailed information about the offending code. It does not disable any of the detection, removal, or isolation functions. Peter

Reply to
Peter

I bought a machine last month (Vista x64), asking the Clerk about running AV tools.

He said too me: I run Sun Microsystems (OS) Then I said, your are not that old!

I'm X years old, he said. "you sure don't "look it."

Reply to
Oren

Peter wrote in news:gtig21$9c9$ snipped-for-privacy@adenine.netfront.net:

And I don't deny that. I merely said that I wanted to be notified. I admit English is not my native language (Dutch is), but I think I can reasonably reason in American English.

Reply to
Han

Ah yes- the Morris worm. I remember that. Somewhere, I have a five-inch

360k floppy of the usenet messages in real time describing the hunt and the recommended cures. (back in the text era, you could fit a lot of messages in 360k).

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Absolute worst "stay away from them" av program is CA (Computer Associates)! Everything seemed ok until time for renewal and I received constant nagging reminders. I notified them I would not renew and the next day (last day before subscription ended) I got a nasty virus that presented a countdown clock that shut my computer down 20 seconds after bootup. After fighting the virus for days without sucess I had to reformat the hard drive. (Hard to troubleshoot a problem in 20 seconds) There is no doubt in my mind that they purposely induced the virus in retaliation for not renewing, especially since their av program was still in service for one last day. KC

Reply to
KC

Me too along with occasional RUNS of Spybot S&D, AdAware and SuperAntispyware.

Reply to
Rudy