OT Virus Protection

First, you should visit the microsoft.public.windosxp.general (or similar) newsgroup on the server msnews.microsoft.com. Browse through the postings looking for information on malware of all types (not only viruses, but spyware, trojans, etc.). Here's what I've learned:

  • Norton is the barnacle of the software world. To remove it, you not only need to use's Symantec's sooper-sekret removal tool, but, to be sure, have to manually scrub your registry of residual traces.
  • Norton, in the past, was a significant resource hog. The recent version is reported to be considerably better in that regard, but Norton's reputation amongst the experts is so irredeemably tarnished that no one trusts Norton any longer.
  • McCaffee is no better than Norton in all regards.
  • AVG is following the Norton path - getting more and more bloated.
  • In addition to a good AV program, you need a hardware firewall (i.e., a router).
  • No AV program is perfect and none will fully protect you if you routinely visit dodgy sites or open unsolicited email.

I, personally, use Avast.

Reply to
HeyBub

None.

I run Mac OS X. (Unix with a pretty face.)

The most enthusiastic Mac aficionados are Windoze converts.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

"olddog" wrote in news:%xVKl.21427$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

I too had run NAV and McAfee prior to Avast! Had the same complaints as many others over time. It's one thing I read on the Internet that WAS true!

Reply to
Red Green

It was PC world, not Pc mag that did the comparison a few months ago, I just updated to new norton by download.

Reply to
ransley

a lot better than IE too.

You remove viruses for a living? I didnt pay extra for spyware malware removal. Read a comparison review at pc world, Norton beat out kapersky and isnt a resource hog. I find Norton worth it and the new version does all you say it cant, 360 v3.

Reply to
ransley

He must because everything bad he says about norton just aint so, its BS. A "pro" in his field surely would know about up to date security suites. PC world has a good review of all of them, maybe 8 security programs. I think they are all getting better every year.

Reply to
ransley

I use AVG Free it works fine for me. Here is a very good link for PC help. snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com JP

Reply to
JP

Tony Hwang wrote in news:olQKl.8671$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe11.iad:

NOD32

FlavorFlav

I used AVG free for years, but had trouble with it a few months ago (conflicted with installation and use of turbo tax) and have switched to Avira's free AntiVir Personal. If you are willing to see Avira's once-daily pop-up screen that tries to get you to upgrade to their paid version, AntiVir seems to be less of a burden on PC overhead than AVG. Also, it does a complete scan of my hard drive in about 60% of the time that it used to take AVG. Although it lacks the real time e-mail scanning feature of AVG, AntiVir's real-time guard would alarm if I attempted to run any infected e-mail download.

Reply to
Peter

Interesting response. When you read stuff from happy customers, do you always question their info because they might work for the company? If so, what sorts of recommendations do you look for? Sort of tepid ones, like "It's OK, I guess."?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I use a mechanical device instead of software. I was in the mens's room of a bar and there was a vending machine selling a product "For the Prevention of Disease". I bought one and slipped it over the modem and I've not had a virus since.

I'm also putting a couple on my hands to avoid the Swine Flu. Some people snicker when they see them, but they work so far.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

MAC users run Windows products (so you can gets a virus on a MAC)

See:

avast! Mac and Mac+PC Edition In response to the increasing number of Mac users with Microsoft Windows installed on the same platform, ALWIL Software has introduced a Mac+PC Edition of avast! antivirus.

Oren

I have used both Norton and AVG...Both are OK but I perfer Norton because it has anti-spyware built in and is all automatic...With AVG I had seperate spyware and firewall software which was a pain...Had ONE problem with Norton showing my subscription expired , which it wasn't , a while back and a nice AMERICAN lady working out of her home fixed it using remote access while I watched which was kinda cool...LOL ..Haven't noticed the slow down others complain about but I do have a newer computer with a big hard drive...

Reply to
benick

First of all it is Mac, it is a dimunitive for Macintosh, not an acronym for anything. Secondly virus doesn't run on a Mac, it run IN Windows. It has been noted from the days of Virtual Machine and before that if you were using Windows, it had to be aggressively virus scanned. That is an OS concern and not a hardware.

Wasting money on the Mac side, the Avast for Windows is supposed to work fine for those who decide to add Windows to their Macs.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Peter,

This from another group, and tells how to disable the nag screen.

Credit:

Avira. I liked it so much, I decided to pop for the registered version. The newest version also has real-time malware protection.

There IS a "nag screen" in the free version (trying to "nag" you into upgrading) but it can be disabled - along with the startup screen.

Oren

Almost all ISPs offer virus protection. Log on to your ISP and download one free.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Hi, I never liked Norton anything since the days of DOS. On anti virus, keeping whatever you use up-to-date all the time is very important.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks. I've never ran a Mac, before.

I see they have -- avast! antivirus for Linux/Unix Servers

Reply to
Oren

I've been using Norton for years and years ... since 94? I'm the only computer user I know, including comp. professionals, whose machine hasn't been infected by bad viruses. OTOH, Windows is a POS. If I had my druthers, I'd get a 1994 Micron PC with Win. 95, v.2. That was a great computer. 65?mHz processor? Loads faster and more stable than my current souped up junker OS.

Reply to
norminn

There ARE viruses, malware, and exploits for max/UNIX/Linux world, just not nearly as many as for windows. I wouldn't run anything online without protection. I also hide behind a router, which cuts the risk considerably, unless I click on something evil.

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers