OT Virus Protection

My subscription for Norton is up. I've had different Norton products for at least 12 years, have tried McAfee, which I didn't like. Norton appears to be so bloated, it slows my machine down.

How's some of these free downloads like AVG?

What virus protection do you run?

Reply to
Lotus

"Lotus" wrote in news:gtgeu6$s5v$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

It's a decent one from what I hear.

Avast! Antivirus

Reply to
Red Green

Hi, I use AVG 8.5 free version.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I use Avira free version and AVG free (not on the same machines). Avira is probably the better of the two as far as using little system resources and detection rate (by independent labs).

Reply to
G. Morgan

Hi Lotus,

If you want the dirt on AV, go to

Norton is a resource hog and buggers up your system. Don't renew it. It also can not be suspended when a new software installation requests it. Or, when a guy like me is trying to figure out if the AV is causing a conflict.

I remove viruses for a living. I have to tell you, the free AV users (AVG etc.) are usually infected and don't know it. The free antivirus products are not worth the time to install them. I come across them all the time, they are almost always infected, especially the ones where the users swear by them.

The AV I use/recommend is Kaspersky

Kaspersky includes spyware/malware. The rest sell it as an extra product. This sticks you with two scanners to slow things down and to have revision conflicts with each other. Kaspersky has American tech support, the smallest foot print, backs off when you need to use your computer and you are scanning, has the best removal tools available against viruses that protect themselves, etc..

Also, bear in mind, about 85% of the viruses now a days are targeting Internet Explorer (IE) users. Get off IE as soon as possible. Use Firefox instead:

Works a lot better than IE too. It is free.

Did I mention Kaspersky has A-M-E-R-I-C-A-N tech support? (They are really, really good too!)

HTH,

-T

Reply to
Todd

On 5/1/2009 10:21 PM Todd spake thus:

Norton *is* a virus.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

avast!

Reply to
dadiOH

Avast no longer appears free and trial copy I'm using will expire in a month and I will go back to McAfee, free from Comcast. McAfee was a hog on my 1 gig Vista OS but adding 2 more gigs solved problem.

Reason I'm in Avast mode is that a virus slipped by McAfee and fortunately I restored machine but McAfee had to be removed so I went to Avast which detected and removed the Trojan virus which had reverted my system as if it were new, with no files - frightening. Also I don't use IE.

Reply to
Frank

I've been pretty happy with PCTools antivirus/antispam. $35 a year for a

3-machine license. Agree about Norton/Symantec. I can actually use it free, legally, via the corp license at work. But it is bloated, and didn't play nice with Windows on some of my machines, so I gave up on it. (It is also pretty much impossible to uninstall if it breaks.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I've been running Avast on 2 machines for over a year now with excellent results. Updates automatically and blocks viruses and malware. It almost seems to good to be true.

Seems like something always went wrong with NAV and McAfee during the annual updates or computer crashes and their customer service was crap.

od

Reply to
olddog

You're susposed to be able to dl an uninstaller from Norton. I used it one time but NAV is crap and has been for years.

od

Reply to
olddog

I'm pretty sure Avast is still free for home use. I'd pick Avast over McAfee, free or not. YMMV!

od

Reply to
olddog

Read PC mag fairly recent reviews of antiV, Norton has been reduced to do less drag, its one of the least to drag on you now, I have 360v3 its worth it and it has alot of new features

Reply to
ransley

I stopped using Norton years ago when they stopped supporting the one I was using and it took me almost 3 hours to get the old one out by hand before the new one would load. This was 3 hours just to get out the stuff uninstaller had left behind.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

You own stock in them or work for them?

Reply to
LouB

"Lotus" wrote in news:gtgeu6$s5v$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

I have a Norton version through work on desktops. SPouse has AVG newest (I think) which is OK, but very slow. I have Avira 9 free on my Vista Home Basic laptop.

I would prefer AVIRA free for any new installations.

In addition: SUPERAntiSpyware for malware Windows Defender

I also have Malwarebytes anti-malware

Reply to
Han

Have you ever dealt with an offshore helpdesk? I deal with lots of them, on a regular basis. Some are fine, most are not. Even if they actually know their product (and many do not), the language problem can be impossible to deal with, as they step you through all the lines of the Standard Diagnostics that you already tried. I understand exactly where he is coming from.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

We have used Kaspersky for several years now and re very pleased with it. We previously used McCafee and it slowed down the machine too much.

Reply to
The Heath's

I used AVG on my 4 computers for 6 yrs w/o problem. Then I got a nasty last spring that just wouldn't quit.

Now I've got bitdefender because it scored well in several of the 'AV comparisons' that I read online. Never #1, but often in the top 5. [$50 for 3 computers for 2 yrs.]

Read a dozen of those articles and you'll start to see that there is a whole lot of luck involved. There was *no* real standout [though I was surprised that AVG rarely made the top 5]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Avast (and AVG) still have free versions, but good luck trying to find links to them from their home pages. Seems they make a real game out of trying to give the impression that there is no longer a free version by obscuring where it is located on their web sites. In some cases at least the "free trial" is not the same as the "free personal edition" which is what you want.

Google for "Avast free download" or similar until you find a link that takes you directly to the download page for the free version. Anything that takes you to their home pages will be a waste of time.

Reply to
Rick Brandt