OT Virus Protection

Page 2 of 5
Todd wrote:

You own stock in them or work for them?
LouB wrote:

Have you ever dealt with an offshore helpdesk? I deal with lots of them, on a regular basis. Some are fine, most are not. Even if they actually know their product (and many do not), the language problem can be impossible to deal with, as they step you through all the lines of the Standard Diagnostics that you already tried. I understand exactly where he is coming from.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

The last three or four times I've called helpdesks for American products, I've gotten ... Philipino, India, Singapore and one who wouldn't disclose location. No difficulty that I recall understanding their English - better than average American :o)

From an understanding standpoint, I had much less trouble with Bangalore than Atlanta, but that is just me.
--
"Distracting a politician from governing
is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."

You've been lucky, or the companies that hire them are finally paying attention to what the customers have been telling them. Just as an example, I hate calling Dishnet, and try to time it to get a US helpdesk, before 1700 EST. Their India helpdesk is useless.
-- aem sends...

He must because everything bad he says about norton just aint so, its BS. A "pro" in his field surely would know about up to date security suites. PC world has a good review of all of them, maybe 8 security programs. I think they are all getting better every year.

Interesting response. When you read stuff from happy customers, do you always question their info because they might work for the company? If so, what sorts of recommendations do you look for? Sort of tepid ones, like "It's OK, I guess."?

We have used Kaspersky for several years now and re very pleased with it. We previously used McCafee and it slowed down the machine too much.

You remove viruses for a living? I didnt pay extra for spyware malware removal. Read a comparison review at pc world, Norton beat out kapersky and isnt a resource hog. I find Norton worth it and the new version does all you say it cant, 360 v3.
Lotus wrote:

avast!
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Read PC mag fairly recent reviews of antiV, Norton has been reduced to do less drag, its one of the least to drag on you now, I have 360v3 its worth it and it has alot of new features
ransley wrote:

I've been using Norton for years and years ... since 94? I'm the only computer user I know, including comp. professionals, whose machine hasn't been infected by bad viruses. OTOH, Windows is a POS. If I had my druthers, I'd get a 1994 Micron PC with Win. 95, v.2. That was a great computer. 65?mHz processor? Loads faster and more stable than my current souped up junker OS.

I have a Norton version through work on desktops. SPouse has AVG newest (I think) which is OK, but very slow. I have Avira 9 free on my Vista Home Basic laptop.
I would prefer AVIRA free for any new installations.
In addition: SUPERAntiSpyware for malware Windows Defender
I also have Malwarebytes anti-malware
--
Best regards
Han

I used AVG on my 4 computers for 6 yrs w/o problem. Then I got a nasty last spring that just wouldn't quit.

Now I've got bitdefender because it scored well in several of the 'AV comparisons' that I read online. Never #1, but often in the top 5. [$50 for 3 computers for 2 yrs.]
Read a dozen of those articles and you'll start to see that there is a whole lot of luck involved. There was *no* real standout [though I was surprised that AVG rarely made the top 5]
Jim
Lotus wrote:

First, you should visit the microsoft.public.windosxp.general (or similar) newsgroup on the server msnews.microsoft.com. Browse through the postings looking for information on malware of all types (not only viruses, but spyware, trojans, etc.). Here's what I've learned:
* Norton is the barnacle of the software world. To remove it, you not only need to use's Symantec's sooper-sekret removal tool, but, to be sure, have to manually scrub your registry of residual traces.
* Norton, in the past, was a significant resource hog. The recent version is reported to be considerably better in that regard, but Norton's reputation amongst the experts is so irredeemably tarnished that no one trusts Norton any longer.
* McCaffee is no better than Norton in all regards.
* AVG is following the Norton path - getting more and more bloated.
* In addition to a good AV program, you need a hardware firewall (i.e., a router).
* No AV program is perfect and none will fully protect you if you routinely visit dodgy sites or open unsolicited email.
I, personally, use Avast.

None.
I run Mac OS X. (Unix with a pretty face.)
http://www.apple.com/getamac /
The most enthusiastic Mac aficionados are Windoze converts.
--
:)
JR

On Sat, 02 May 2009 07:44:53 -0500, Jim Redelfs

MAC users run Windows products (so you can gets a virus on a MAC)
See:
avast! Mac and Mac+PC Edition In response to the increasing number of Mac users with Microsoft Windows installed on the same platform, ALWIL Software has introduced a Mac+PC Edition of avast! antivirus.

First of all it is Mac, it is a dimunitive for Macintosh, not an acronym for anything. Secondly virus doesn't run on a Mac, it run IN Windows. It has been noted from the days of Virtual Machine and before that if you were using Windows, it had to be aggressively virus scanned. That is an OS concern and not a hardware.

Wasting money on the Mac side, the Avast for Windows is supposed to work fine for those who decide to add Windows to their Macs.
--
"Distracting a politician from governing
is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."

Thanks. I've never ran a Mac, before.

I see they have -- avast! antivirus for Linux/Unix Servers
Oren wrote:

There ARE viruses, malware, and exploits for max/UNIX/Linux world, just not nearly as many as for windows. I wouldn't run anything online without protection. I also hide behind a router, which cuts the risk considerably, unless I click on something evil.
-- aem sends....