OT: Vinyl LPs to MP3 transfer

Page 2 of 7
Meanie,
Perfect, that's the sort of pre-amp you need. It will raise the turntable signal up to line level and add some bass EQ
Dave M.
Also, when you are recording, peak no higher than -6dB on the full-scale meters. This will prevent clipping of the peaks which can distort the sound.

Thank you. I'll remember that.
On 12/19/2014 8:37 PM, David Martel wrote:

On 12/18/2014 04:10 PM, Meanie wrote:

I'm assuming you are using Windows.
I've used Total Recorder and it worked well for me. It's a very simple program ... it's not freeware but the price was low.
OTOH: That Audacity program is probably worth checking out since it's free
On 12/18/2014 5:42 PM, philo wrote:

Yes.

On 12/18/2014 06:28 PM, Meanie wrote:

It can be used for any sound recording purposes but I do not know how it compares to Audacity. What I liked about Total Recorder is that the speed can be varied. It would be helpful if your turntable is slightly out of calibration.
I needed it mostly because I was trying to archive a recording made on a non-standard tape recorder and the speed of the recording was not the same as my standard-speed playback device. It worked perfectly

The easiest way is to find someone that has already done. Learn to use a Usenet search engine.
On 12/18/2014 6:33 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:

Already trying that. Thus far no response.
| OTOH: That Audacity program is probably worth checking out since it's free
I was told about Audacity by a musician friend who also writes tech help files during the day. He says it's a fullscale, professional sound editor. Unfortunately, I have no expertise when it comes to audio technology, so I really can't assess it for myself. I don't understand much of the terminology.
On 12/18/2014 6:37 PM, Mayayana wrote:

with many features. Many USB turntable converters use that or EZ Vinyl Converter.
SBH wrote: "- show quoted text - I saw a brief review of Audacity and it appeared to be pretty intense with many features. Many USB turntable converters use that or EZ Vinyl Converter. "
Audacity "pretty intense" - but peanuts compared to ProTools! LOL

The easy way is to use your turn table and amp with a "line" out, going into the Line In on the sound card in your PC and using recording software like "Total Recorder". If you bump that up to a high end program like Sound Forge you can massage the sound a bit and take out the pops and scratches. If you only have cartridge out from the turn table, it will usually be OK into the MIC in on your sound card.

I've done lots. Probably around 800 Albums and a bunch of 45s. I have 7000 tracks total.
I used a vintage turn table and tuner/amplifier. Run a line from the tuner audio out to line in on the PC.
I'm on Linux, so I used Audacity. It's pretty simple to operate. If you look online you can find the procedure to take a whole album side, mark the track endings, then split the file into individual cuts. If I recall right, you insert labels at various points on the album side, then tell it to export the recording as multiple files.
I've saved everything as FLAC. MP3 reduces the quality.
Still can't bring myself to pitch the albums, but I probably will.
--
Dan Espen

On 12/18/2014 8:24 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

my mother's old albums for her to enjoy on her MP3.
On Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:24:33 PM UTC-5, net cop wrote:

There's probably a vinyl shop in your area that buys and sells old albums; try them before you pitch the albums, you might make some cash off of them.
Paul

I have been using Total Recorder 3.0 since 2001 with never a problem, quick & easy. Also have been using Goldwave 5.2 since 2007 for sound editing - free evaluation verision is fully functional and includes everything that have needed.
On 12/18/2014 8:26 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Meanie,
What do you have already? I used Audacity. It took a few hours of fiddling but it made good recordings on my computer which is about 10yrs. old and runs XP. I didn't use mp3 but I'm sure it will do that I used a good turntable which was set up well and my stereo gear since it has a phono pre-amp built-in. Sent the signal from the tape out to the computers audio in. My computer has RealTek software and hardware for audio. It's important to start with clean, good LPs. I washed mine with mild, cool dish water, rinsed a lot, and let them air dry while standing upright. I'm not an audio engineer but what you want to do should be easy so feel free to ask a bunch of questions.
Dave M.
On 12/18/2014 8:38 PM, David Martel wrote:

Total Recorder based on the recommendations here.
I have an older Technics direct drive turntable model SL-QD35. It's been so long I can't remember how old this thing is.