OT: US Truck driver took wrong turn into Mexico with load of ammo

This is how americans are participating in the Mexican drug-murder blood-bath by exporting their guns and ammo into Mexico.

The plan is that the cartels will get their hands on this ammo once it's been taken away as evidence. It will be taken or stolen right out of the hands of mexican police.

El Paso Timeselpasotimes.com

04/19/2012 12:00:00 AM MDT

The U.S. truck driver detained by Mexican authorities Tuesday with

268,000 rounds of ammunition was transporting a legal cargo to Phoenix but mistakenly exited to Juárez, the man's employer said on Wednesday.

Dennis Mekenye, owner of Demco Transportation Inc. in Arlington, Texas, said Bogan Jabin Akeem, 27, left Dallas on Monday with a trailer with nine pallets containing the ammunition.

The cargo was being taken from Tennessee to an ammunition retailer in Phoenix called United Nations Ammo Co. as part of a legitimate transaction, Mekenye said.

Akeem made a stop in El Paso and, before driving the last stretch toward Phoenix, he accidentally took a wrong turn toward the international Bridge of the Americas, his boss said.

"It was a mistake for him to take a wrong turn and find himself in Mexican soil," Mekenye said. "He missed the exit, and he went south. He asked one cop there, 'I missed my exit, how can I turn around?' "

Mekenye said Akeem could not turn the vehicle around at the bridge and had to continue into Mexico. Coming back, Mexican authorities told him they had to inspect his vehicle.

Mekenye said he didn't know whether Akeem declared he was transporting ammunition or whether Mexican authorities discovered the cargo upon inspection.

"It was a legitimate movement from Tennessee to Phoenix," said Mekenye, who also said that his company does not ship to Mexico and that he has never been investigated for shipping contraband.

The owner of United Nations Ammo in Phoenix, who identified himself only as "Howie," said he was expecting Akeem to arrive Tuesday night to offload the cargo Wednesday morning.

"All the media was calling it cartel ammo, but we paid for that ammo, it's really our property. In no way whatsoever was that ammunition ever supposed to go to Mexico," he said. "We ordered this ammunition, and it's ammunition meant to be sold in the United States of America for legal hobbyists, legal shooters and legal enthusiasts."

The cargo had a value of $100,000, he said.

(that's about 37 cents per bullet)

"It's a tremendous shipment we paid for," he said. "We're hoping they will release the man and our property so it can be delivered to us."

Howie declined to comment on how large the order of ammunition rounds was compared with previous ones.

Federal officials did not respond to calls seeking comment on Mekenye's version of the events.

Akeem was arrested Tuesday evening by Mexican federal authorities and will remain in custody until a court determines whether a criminal case will go forward. Mexican authorities have 48 hours to decide whether they will continue with an investigation.

José Angel Torres Valadez, spokesman in the Northern region for Mexico's General Attorney's Office, or PGR, said he could not share any details until the 48-hour period has passed but said it is possible that Akeem will be taken to Mexico City to continue the investigation.

Akeem was driving a tractor-trailer with Texas plates and the logo "McKinney Trailer Rentals." A spokesman with McKinney confirmed that Mekenye's company has been a McKinney client for several years.

The bullets were being transported inside metal boxes. Sources said the ammunition is of the type used for AK-47 and AR-15 rifles. The rifles are often used by members of Mexican criminal organizations.

The bullets are legal to buy in the United States, but the ammunition is banned in Mexico, which considers those types of rifles and bullets only for military use. The seizure was one of the largest made by Mexican authorities in Juárez since a vicious drug-cartel war that has killed more than 9,500 people erupted four years ago.

Mekenye said he has been in touch with the U.S. Consulate in Juárez, the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and the Department of Homeland Security.

Olga Bashbush, spokeswoman for the U.S. Consulate in Juárez, confirmed that Akeem was a U.S. citizen and said consular officials met with him Tuesday. Representatives of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives did not return calls seeking comment.

Mekenye said that Akeem had been his employee for more than two years. A criminal background check showed Akeem did not appear to have any previous convictions or run-ins with the law.

U.S. authorities have increased enforcement to try to stop the so-called Iron River, or flow of weapons, into Mexico.

Last week, a U.S. Border Patrol agent from El Paso and his girlfriend were arrested by U.S. federal agents on gun-smuggling related charges. They are accused of lying on federal forms to buy firearms and ammo intended for Mexico.

In Juárez, local police operations have resulted in the seizure of 168 weapons so far this year.

Reply to
Home Guy

I feel for this guy. I too took the wrong turn there when touring Texas. In

1993 I was looking for the road to Big Bend Park. When I got to the bridge and saw it went to Mexico I was able to turn around and stop at the U.S. check station. Explained this to the check person that I did not come from Mexico. He said "yes I was watching you" He gave me the proper route to the park. I did go on a tour through Mexico in 1950 on my motorcycle. At that time was warned by the Mexician people at the border station , if I see a car in the side of the road on it's side and people laying on the ground "do not stop to help" They will get up and rob you then upright the car and drive away. Also at the border inspection The Mexican looked at all the gear strapped on my Bike and said I am not going to make you undo all that stuff, go on your way. But when returning to the U.S. everything was taken apart to inspect it. Even unrolled my sleeping bag and turned it inside out. WW
Reply to
WW

  1. If you check Google Maps or Satellite view, you'll see that once you get on Loop 110, you can't turn around or get off until you're in Mexico.
  2. As far as guns and ammunition going from the U.S. to Mexico, several points are important: a) The sales of these items are a boon for U.S. manufacturers. At least two gun manufacturers (S&W and Ruger) are not taking new orders because of the order backlog. b) The sales improve our balance-of-payments problem. c) Virtually all the killing and mayhem by their use is directed from one drug gang toward another drug gang.

Where's the bad?

Reply to
HeyBub

When another Jaime Zapata gets killed.

Reply to
krw

Someday I'll tell you how and why I spent a few hours in a Juarez jail circa 1963. It had nothing to do with border crossings.

Juarez was much safer and friendlier place back then.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Well, I, uh, don't think it's quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up...

Reply to
HeyBub

jeff_wisnia used improper usenet message composition style by unnecessarily full-quoting:

Did you have to full-quote my entire post just to add 3 lines?

Reply to
Home Guy

I was going to comment too but figured I'd just get a , do you have to full-quote....

I spent time own there 70-71. I never wanted any trouble down there.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

guess so.........

Reply to
DD_BobK

Sure. Some folks have you blocked. Without the full quote, they would have no idea what's going on.

Reply to
HeyBub

You and Holder.

Reply to
krw

Reply to
life1meaning

welcome to my life

Reply to
life1meaning

(...)

aolclient-24-33-80-28.cinci.res.rr.com

Some dumb shit in Cincinnati posted this 3 times.

Someone that has internet through AOL, posting through google-gropes.

Dumb as a sack of hammers - your typical american.

Reply to
Home Guy

Homo Gay, he's probably a Canadian transplant, eh? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas