OT: Toughest Varnish?

I am wondering if there is a product that is stronger than Man o War marine varnish yet not as difficult to apply as fiberglass resin. I am building some skimboards for friends and family and have used the marine varnish but it doesn't seem to hold with the sand grinding away at the bottom. Is there a 'in between' I could use on these wooden boards? Thanks.

Sand is quartz, very hard, and nothing will stand up to it.
I would try a (genuine) polyurethane, which as enough elasticity that it might do well against sand abrasion. A two-part polyurethane system, not the so-called polyurethane in a one-part can.
On 17 Apr 2007 10:53:42 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Ask in rec.woodworking for more opinions.
My rec would be oil modified gym floor finish. Lots of brands, do a google search.
HTH,
Paul
On 17 Apr 2007 10:53:42 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

There are now 2-part epoxies that have UV protection included. West System has one. Epoxy's achilles heel as a coating has always been UV degradation. That has been solved by a few epoxy companies who now have hardeners formulated to avoid UV issues. I am not aware of any one part finishes, varnish or otherwise that would solve your particular problem. Once you learn how to work with two part finishes and epoxies, it really isn't that difficult.
CWM

Marine varnish is the softest varnish, it is made to expand and contract with wood. On a small board an epoxy paint will last longest