OT Tire valve caps

Page 1 of 3
Why? I doubt if they would do much, if any, good if the valve was leaking. They get in the way when checking air pressure - if they weren't there I'd likely check more often. All I can think of is to keep dirt out of valves?
TIA
--
I love a good meal! So I don't cook.

On 7/17/2014 12:14 PM, KenK wrote:

If you live in a cold climate, moisture is another reason. You don't want ice or snow to build up in the valve and maybe end up damaging it or causing a slow leak.

Valve caps on car A./C? I've never noticed them. Where are they? On the A/C itself? Where 'freon' is added? I don't even know where mine is. Never had to mess with it. (Only have owned the car a few months.)

--
I love a good meal! So I don't cook.

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 1:45:50 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:

Yes.
I don't even know where mine is.

Unless you have a problem and are DIY you don't need to know.

I would think dirt would be the main reason. Get dirt in there, then you fill it, some of the dirt gets stuck and the valve doesn't close.

Yep.
But the primary purpose they serve is in finding lost socks. When you lose one sock, that sock goes to a special place. The same place lost valve caps go.
Apologies to those who are not Ren and Stimpy fans.
--
Dan Espen

On 7/17/2014 1:51 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

Speaking for others, I accept your apology.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

That's it exactly: to keep foreign matter out of the valves.
On 7/17/14, 2:57 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I like the aftermarket ones that can unscrew the core. If they were cast iron, I could find them with a magnet. If a wheel had 6 valves, I could balance it by screwing on cast iron valve caps of different weights.
On Thursday, July 17, 2014 1:59:13 PM UTC-7, J Burns wrote:

:). I remember when cars came with those style caps.
Harry K
KenK wrote:

Hi, New cars have tire pressure monitor valves. Don't need to check pressure unless monitor senses it. Put in Nitrogen which is more stable. Nitrogen filled tire valve caps are green in color. You think keeping dirt out is unimportant?
On 7/17/2014 5:24 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I've had good results using 80% nitrogen.
On 7/17/2014 8:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah, but diluted watered down nitrogen isn't any where near as strong.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Anyone catch on besides Claire?
--
Tekkie

On 7/20/2014 5:01 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

19% oxygen, 1% argon. Some dihydrogen monoxide, more in the summer.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Next time you're getting read to take it to the shop, take the valve caps off, pour some kind of cheap perfume on the valve and then put the cap on tight.
On Sunday, July 20, 2014 10:12:50 PM UTC-7, Guv Bob wrote:

?? I've never heard this one before. What does it do? I assume it causes something funny to happen.
Harry K

caps off, pour some kind of cheap perfume on the valve and then put the cap on tight.

causes something funny to happen.

Somebody pulled that on me once - told me the best way to pressurize your tires was to first let some air out. Gave me the nice aroma of Taboo. Remember that one? Just the thought of Taboo gives me a headache.
You don't put the cap on dry, do you? Horrors. I never use an unlubricated fastner.
Teflon tape is just as good as antiseize compound for most applications and a lot less messy.
TimR posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

For a plastic valve cap; even a metal one?
--
Tekkie

leaking.

I'd