OT Tire valve caps

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hi, The summer temp is as high as 30C and in winter it drops as low as -35C, fluctuation of tire pressure is quite noticeable between season. Local Costco tire shops use only Nitrogen, some shops charge extra for that. Pretty soon I need a set of new summer tires, probably go for Continental Contact LX2 with Nitrogen..

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You have summer and winter tires? Get a set of Nokian WR3G for year round use.

Ed Pawlowski

All season tires are a compromize - even Nokians.

I use ice and snow tires for the winter, and high performance touring tires for the summer except, at least for now, my wife's car. She does not need to go anywhere if the roads are bad - I can take her where she needs to go with the truck, So she's got TigerPaw Touring tires on the Taurus. (car goes about 5000km a year if we don't take a major summer road trip)

Reply to
clare

Unlike "all season" tires, they have a real snow rating. Smooth ride at

110 mph too.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

One advantage to nitrogen is that it's dry. When I used a compressor to fill an air tank to work on farm tires, water would accumulate in the tank. The partial pressure of moisture in a tire could vary a lot with temperature. A race car could develop too much pressure in its hot tires, and a plane could touch down with too little in its cold tires.

Reply to
J Burns

Hi, Right, winter tires here is Nokian, Toyo, Michelin X Ice II on separate steel rims. I change tires myself since I have needed tools at home garage. Compressor, all the air tools and 3.5 ton floor jack, etc. Every vehicles in my family are AWD, still winter tires do help in snow and on ice.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, What is UTQG rating on them? I did not give too much attention when they came out. We always have two sets of tires per vehicle. Winter and summer. Always drive AWD type.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

J Burns wrote in news:lqfjrr$6i7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Hey moron: FYI a passenger car is not a race car or high altitude plane.

Reply to
Zaky Waky

None of this matters. I want to hear about valve caps!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Baah, this is all trivia. brand, tread, none matters. Do you have stainless valve caps? With anti corrosive thread treatment?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And all of this trivia doesn't matter, when you have the wrong valve caps.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi, My car came with OEM pressure monitoring system, son's being high performance type it is dressed up. Wife's, just AWD jalopy she loves, won't have any thing else. I even tried to bribe her with Bimmer X3, LOL! She used to drive around when kids were young a 1 ton camoerized/tow van. Our car buying days are over. At 75, we have to take physical exam to renew license, and then every two years there after. When we're not allowed to drive, I guess we have to move into down town condo or move out to cabin. Or time to say bye to mother earth for another journey, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Don't matter now. There is tires which are flat proof sort of.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Why don't you check for this week answers, maybe it will be there? Quit being such an antagonistic.

Reply to
JAS

But they are a compromize for 90F+ highway running.. You wear them out faster than you would like to wear out an expensive tire.

Reply to
clare

I always have both sets mounted on separate rims. My truck came with

14" summer tires on the original factory alloys and a pair of snows on steelies. The summer tires had something like 187000km on them and the snows were 17 years old!!! I had a good set of 15" Dunlop Graspics with one season of use on my PT Cruizer that were the right diameter, so for $100 I picked up a set of 15" alloys from a Lincoln Continental and mounted the snows. Then I bought a set of 16" Torque Thrust alloys with a half worn set of Coopers on them and ran them for one summer - and replaced them with new Michelins this spring. Ford makes a speedo gear with one less teeth than the original that corrects the speedo perfectly. - a 5 minute job to switch gears spring and fall. On the old Mystique it had 15" summer tires on alloys and a set of 14" snows on steelies. The Taureus has 16" on alloys. If we did a lot of winter driving with it I'd be picking up another set of rims and putting on a good set of ice/snow tires.

Install and ballance ONCE - then it's a simple switch spring and fall.

Reply to
clare

I have chromed brass valve caps, with rubber gaskets and hex heads so they are easy to remove, on chromed metal valve stems (bolt in type with rubber seals). Got sick of replacing leaky cracked rubber stems.

Reply to
clare

Nothing new. Had Goodyear Double Eagle 10.50 15 run-flats on the '61 New Yarker wagon. Factory installed option way back then.

Reply to
clare

A/A/500 A review here

Ed Pawlowski