OT?: Tiny Woodburning Project

I've got a small one-time woodburning project for which I need to burn about 20 alphabetic characters onto a chunk of cedar 2x6".
Got a little Weller burning iron. I've been trying to layout the lettering using a pc printout and carbon paper. It doesn't layout well at all.
If I had a solid (i.e. plastic or metal) stencil of the right size, I could probably get it done OK, but I don't.
Anybody know a neat trick for something like this??
Thanks, Will
On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 21:44:02 -0500, Wilfred Xavier Pickles

Print out your pattern. Spray on some 3M glue and fix the pattern onto the wood. Burn your characters and peel (or sand) off the pattern. I use this method all the time with very good results. The spray glue works better than white glue although either will work. I checked, no carbon paper is sold in my town.

No spray glue. I'm testing with white glue. Takes longer than I thought to set up. I wonder if spray polyurethane would work.

No loss: it doesn't transfer to most woods very well anyway.
Thx, Will
snipped-for-privacy@screwmail.com wrote:

Use a graphics program (e.g. Corel Draw) to make up a mirror-reversed image of the lettering. Print it out on a laser printer. Lay the paper onto the wood, printed side down, and iron it. The design will transfer to the wood.
If you don't have a laser printer available, print it on whatever printer you have available, photocopy it, and use the photocopy.
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

If you want some really tedious chores, print the characters onto a clear sheet of mylar, cut out the characters with a fine Xacto knife, then trace as a stencil. Or, just print the characters onto regular computer paper. Get some graphite (like carbon paper) at a fabric or art store and trace onto the wood.