Paging woodburning stove owners...

There's a chap on ebay selling a cubic metre of split oak logs for 20. How long, roughly speaking, would this last? If we say a 6-8kw stove, for example. Is that about the usual price?
Si

A week maybe
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 07:36:29 +0000 (UTC), Chris wrote:

Looking at it that is more or less the period I came to for burning on our open fire for around 5hrs/evening.
Cost, around here logs are about 70 per "load". A load is a little variable but generally the back of a LWB pickup full or a good sized trailer at least 4 m^3 or more.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Well, it really depends how much you use the thing. We have a woodburner and gas CH, so it only tends to get used every other afternoon / evening, and approx just under half the amount you're on about would last us a couple of weeks with that sort of use, or a week if we were using it heavily. OTOH we also tend to chuck in a couple of lumps of coal too, which helps to keep it going without a huge amount of wood in it.
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

If these parts the local woods sell at 50 for a "load" or sawn and split logs[1]. That is a transit sized flatbed pickup sized vehicle, so probably 3m^3
[1] Some would probably require further splitting for use in a log burner.
--
Cheers,

John.

Those were the size/load figures I worked out (at normal seasoning, about 0.75 tonne). Round here a load has topped 100 though :o(
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Sheesh. I just popped out and measured my wood store and it appears we pay 40 for 2 m^3 (just jumboled about, not stacked neatly).
It lasts about a month, burned on an open fire, more for entertainment than heating (although we can usually switch the central heating off once we've worked up a fug in the living room), and we have a fire most evenings.
Bob Mannix wrote:

To be fair, I don't know what current prices here are - I have not ordered any for three years since the winters have been mild enough to not warrant use of the open fire...
--
Cheers,

John.

Thanks chaps.
Also... flues. Would the stove need a complete liner all the way up or just a couple of metres of pipe up the hole to remind the air which way to go, or... ? Normal 3 bed semi.
If, for example, I bought something similar to this: <http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAPLE-CAST-IRON-STOVE-WOODBURNER-WOOD-STOVES-COTTAGER_W0QQitemZ140206848093
See answers in other threads.
In general you will neeed a liner, which will probably cost more than the stove.
HTH
Dave R

just
<http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAPLE-CAST-IRON-STOVE-WOODBURNER-WOOD-STOVES-COTTAGER _W0QQitemZ140206848093>
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

<http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAPLE-CAST-IRON-STOVE-WOODBURNER-WOOD-STOVES-COTTAGER_W0QQitemZ140206848093
All the way to the pot squire.
Nothing about wood burning stoves is easy, or cheap ;-)
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

You're not bloody wrong there! Sneaky look-cheap-but-aren't bastards!
Si
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 18:20:39 -0000, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
A solid cubic metre split or a load of split logs occupying a cubic metre? A long time ago we test weighed some bulk bags (nominally 0.7m^3 and got less than 300kg of green oak in. I wouldn't absolutely trust my memory but that's probably less than 150kg of oven dry wood.
Bear in mind that a big stack has far less edge effects and you can see a small jumbled stack will have less volume of solid wood in it.
Say his stack is 0.5m^3 of solid oak and the moisture content is around 45% that should gross about 1110 kWhrs of heat released during complete combustion but I think I'm being generous.
AJH