OT: Thefts of Tide laundry detergent across the US baffle police

Page 1 of 2
Again, your American ways are strange to us Canadians.
You are thieving copper and other metals from your private and public infrastructure at an astounding rate, and now some of you are "turning the tide" - by stealing Tide laundry detergent!
It's a little bulky to use as street currency, but what-ever turns your crank I guess...
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/thefts_of_tide_laundry_detergent_ExpyPDdIAtmm6Vc1IEUoCI
Law enforcement officials across the US have been left baffled by a crime wave targeting an unlikely item -- Tide laundry detergent.
Theft of Tide detergent has become so rampant that some cities are setting up special task forces to stop it and retailers like CVS are taking special security precautions to lock down the liquid.
One Tide thief in West St. Paul, Minn., stole $25,000 of the product over 15 months before he was arrested last year.
"That was unique that he stole so much soap," said West St. Paul Police Chief Bud Shaver.
"The name brand is [all] Tide. Amazing, huh?"
Tide has become a form of currency on the streets. The retail price is steadily high -- roughly $10 to $20 a bottle -- and it's a staple in households across socioeconomic classes.
Tide can go for $5 to $10 a bottle on the black market, authorities say, and some thieves even resell it to stores.
"There's no serial numbers and it's impossible to track," said Detective Larry Patterson of the Somerset, Ky., Police Department, where authorities have seen a huge spike in Tide theft. "It's the item to steal."
Police say thieves target the Procter & Gamble detergent because it is the most popular and, with its Day-Glo orange logo, the most recognizable.
George Cohen, spokesman for Philadelphia-based Checkpoint Systems, which produces alarms being tested on Tide in CVS stores, said, "Name brands are easier to resell.
"In organized retail crimes they would love to steal the iPad. It's very easy to sell. Harder to sell the unknown Korean brand."
Most thieves load carts with dozens of bottles, then dash out the door. Many have getaway cars waiting outside.
"These are criminals coming into the store to steal thousands of dollars of merchandise," said Detective Harrison Sprague of the Prince George's County, Md., Police Department, where Tide is known as "liquid gold" among officers.
He and other law enforcement officials across the country say Tide theft is connected to the drug trade.
"We sent in an informant to buy drugs," Sprague said. "The dealer said, 'I don't have drugs, but I could sell you 15 bottles of Tide.'"
Police in Gresham, Ore., said most Tide theft is perpetrated by "users feeding their habit."
"They'll do it right in front of a cop car -- buying heroin or methamphetamine with Tide," said Detective Rick Blake of the Gresham Police Department. "We would see people walking down the road with six, seven bottles of Tide. They were so blatant about it."
On 3/12/2012 6:17 PM, Home Guy wrote:

I am not far from the border, know lots of Canadians, go there for business and pleasure and none are like you. So I am sure "us" or "we" doesn't apply to anything you write.
George wrote:

They're just not as vocal or express their opinions in public.
We all think you're going down the toilet as a country. The UK is following right behind you.

You're telling us all Canadians agree on something?
Wow, you Canucks are WEIRD!
We don't have anything like that here.
--
Dan Espen

On 3/12/2012 7:04 PM, Home Guy wrote:

Sorry, you only speak for yourself and somehow imagine you might be like others. I just spent the morning with a good friend who is Canadian and is very vocal and tells it like it is and he is nothing like you. I know many others just like him.
George wrote:

If he's telling it like it is then he'd be saying the US is going down the toilet.
Geeze - half the people in your own country are saying the same thing. The other half are in denial.
Oren wrote:

What makes you think that something is making me think that you care about what I think?

Nobody in Canada has cabin fever after this so-called winter.

Rhetorical. ;-)
I thought everyone knew? Americans are a homogenized, pasteurized, monolithic bunch. It's like "you people" of any usage through the years. We're all alike. And you should have known that.
And, I hope no one thinks I'm being serious.
On 3/12/2012 6:17 PM, Home Guy wrote:

I am not far from the border, know lots of Canadians, go there for business and pleasure and none are like you. So I am sure "us" or "we" doesn't apply to anything you write.
On Mar 12, 5:02pm, "Stormin Mormon"

On a serious note: cultural distance makes US citizens 'appear' all alike [and sadly, THAT world wide perception is starting to become evident]. Just as in familial look alikes. If you're a member of the family, everyone looks different. If you're viewing that family from outside, from a different family, the resemblance betweeen siblings and members is incredible.

+--------------------------------------+ \ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 / \ 1 9 / / \ 0 / 10 / \ SMUG-O-METER / / \ / / \ / / \_____________________/____/ \ / \....................../
--
Tegger

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/thefts_of_tide_laundry_detergent_ExpyPDdIAtmm6Vc1IEUoCI
It used to be baby formula that was the most popular theft item. Since many stores now keep that locked up and/or keep only a small supply on the shelves, it looks like they're switched to stealing Tide. I wonder what the next product will be, once all the laundry detergent joins the baby formula behind the locked doors.
On 3/13/2012 9:08 AM, Hell Toupee wrote:

Funny you should ask "what's next?" I had to laugh when I saw this:
http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nbc-news/46722546#46722546
TDD

If price is any example, toilet tissue, paper towels! Quick invest in Crown-Zellerbach!

re: "Most thieves load carts with dozens of bottles, then dash out the door. Many have getaway cars waiting outside. "
How quickly can someone load dozens of bottles of Tide into a getaway car? Seems like witnesses ought to be able to snap lots of cell phone pictures or jot down relevant information - assuming they want to. At a minimum a store employee should be able gather some incriminating data in the time it takes to transfer dozens of bottles of detergent from the cart to the car.
And what about those that *don't* have getaway cars parked outside? Seems like someone running down the street pushing a cart filled with dozens of bottles of Tide would draw some attention, especially with that right front wheel rattling all over the place.
On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:26:45 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Yeah, the whole story seems like bullshit.

I guess it could be that this guy just hasn't done laundry in a long time...
http://downloads.thedaily.com/ui-images/2012/03/12/031212-news-tide-theft-webedit-2c-ss-662w.jpg
<stuff snipped>

http://downloads.thedaily.com/ui-images/2012/03/12/031212-news-tide-theft-webedit-2c-ss-662w.jpg
Hmmm - a guy pushing a cart full of Tide bottles *inside* a store. There could only be one explanation for that. (-:
I wonder how much name recognition that jewelry store got when a certain starlet stole a necklace from them? If we're talking Tide in AHR, it's truly gone viral - the ultimate goal for any marketer.
-- Bobby G.

I'm sure there's more than one explanation, but there's only one caption under the picture:
PHOTO: Gazette.net/Maryland Community News Online A Tide thief makes a major haul in Prince George's County, Md.
The full article can be found here, along with another picture with the caption:
PHOTO: Dakota County Attorney's Office Patrick Costanzo stole $25,000 worth of Tide.
http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/03/12/031212-news-tide-theft-1-4 /

Considering that the picture came from an article related to the theft of Tide, with the caption
On Monday, March 12, 2012 6:17:49 PM UTC-4, Home Guy wrote:

This baffles you?
Scrap metal prices are high, and people are greedy.
Tide, same way... Tide is 40% more expensive than any other brand of detergent, and it's the only one that does a decent job.