Toilet tide?

I call it toilet tide, but what is it when the level in the toilet drops an inch or so? It is the atmospheric pressure, wind blowing across the vent tube creating a little more vacuum, clogged vent, low water in the back, or something else? It's no big deal, just curious.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Do you have a dog?

Reply to
Rose

How large is your dog?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

And what is he wearing right now?

Reply to
Hell Toupee

It is virtually always vent related. You may have enough wind in the vent to "rock" the water out or you may have bad venting allowing water retreating from another source to suck the water out.

Reply to
gfretwell

First to all, I don't have any animals.

Second, I can dump a half gallon of water into the toilet and the level stays up. The water level in the tank has been consistant. There is a minor wind of maybe 10 mph. The house is about 5 years old, but I guess there could still some obstruction but the other 2 toilets seem ok.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Not my dog.

Still the pressure and vent effect was very new to me.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Zat is not ma dog!

Reply to
WandererFan

Most likely. Figure it out. Atmospheric pressure is approximately 14 psi, enough to lift a column of water 32 feet. If my math is correct as little as 0.05 psi pressure differential could move the water over an inch.

Reply to
Frank

Does your durg bite?

(am I right with that reference?)

Reply to
cubby

Reply to
gfretwell

I'll try that to see what happens.

Thanks,

Hank

Reply to
Hank

For our toilets, If I need a complete flush, I need to hold down the handle until the bowl clears. Then the fill up takes the longest time and the bowl fills to the max (probably more but the excess drains through).

Sometimes I'm in a hurry and don't hold down the handle long enough. The bowl mostly flushes but sometimes not even completely. Either way, with less water to replace in the tank, the fill takes less time, and the bowl doesn't quite fill up as described above.

John

Reply to
teabird