OT T Boone Pickens

Wasn't that the standard for the WTC too?

Reply to
gfretwell

I ran into an even worse one once. "If I told _me_ what I worked on and the results, I'd have to shoot myself". Did show the Powers that Be a big hole in their security though.

Reply to
J. Clarke

J. Clarke wrote: ...

Well, at least the reactor security stuff wasn't nearly as painful to work with as DOE Q...

--

Reply to
dpb

No idea, but note the problem wasn't the impact. If anything was remiss in the design it was the size and duration of fire which isn't in the scenario under discussion here anyway.

And with that this has become so far off track as to be worth marking to ignore any remainder of the thread....

--

Reply to
dpb

Took a while to find it on the web, but for the prime example...

Windmills: surviving on the Plains By DARLA BRACKEN ... "The XIT Ranch had 325 windmills over its vast 3 million acres and a special full time crew to take care of them. There were many different types and designs and hundreds of companies manufacturing them between the 1880s and into the 1920s and 1930s."

While others weren't as large as the XIT, the fulltime windmill crew was a common occupation until thru the 30's into the war years on the High Plains. The manpower shortage during the war really was the beginning of the emphasis to shift to alternate power sources although it didn't become terribly prevalent until the 50s and 60s as electric power distribution lines expanded drastically w/ the advent of the electric co-op's(1).

It was also dangerous business often, having to climb a tower w/ a runaway vane after the brakeline had broken being one of most perilous.

(1) We were supplied totally by wind until after WWII when in '48 got REA hookup for the first time. Until then, both windmill and Delco 32V windcharger system were our water and only electric power on the place.

The windcharger was immediately decommisioned, of course, the windmill continued until the well casing failed and a new well was drilled in the mid/late 50s. It, of course, used submergible pump and much larger capacity.

--

Reply to
dpb