OT Surgery prices.

Page 3 of 5

Pink slime From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search Page semi-protected Pink slime Inventor Eldon Roth[1] Launch year 2001 (human use) earlier for pet food Company Beef Products Inc. (BPI), others Availability Available Current supplier Beef Products Inc., others Look up pink slime, lean finely textured beef, LFTB, soylent pink, or beef in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
Pink slime, also known as lean finely textured beef (LFTB) [2] and boneless lean beef trimmings (BLBT)[3], is a beef-based food additive that may be added to ground beef and beef-based processed meats as an inexpensive filler.[4][5] It consists of finely ground beef scraps, sinew, fat, and connective tissue which have been mechanically removed in a heated centrifuge at 100°F (38°C)[6] from the fat into liquid fat and a protein paste.[7][8] The recovered material is then processed, heated, and treated with ammonia gas[1] or citric acid to kill E. coli, salmonella, and other bacteria. It is finely ground, compressed into blocks and flash frozen for use as an additive to beef products.[9][10] The term pink slime was coined in 2002 by Gerald Zirnstein, who at that time was a microbiologist for the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service,[7] but some state officials have objected to the nickname, saying that "lean, finely textured beef is the proper name."[11]
Add pictures here
βœ–

http://cen.acs.org/articles/90/web/2012/04/Pink-Slime.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_slime Pink slime, also known as lean finely textured beef (LFTB) [2] and boneless lean beef trimmings (BLBT)[3], is a beef-based food additive that may be added to ground beef and beef-based processed meats as an inexpensive filler.[4][5] It consists of finely ground beef scraps, sinew, fat, and connective tissue which have been mechanically removed in a heated centrifuge at 100°F (38°C)[6] from the fat into liquid fat and a protein paste.[7][8] The recovered material is then processed, heated, and treated with ammonia gas[1] or citric acid to kill E. coli, salmonella, and other bacteria. It is finely ground, compressed into blocks and flash frozen for use as an additive to beef products.[9][10] The term pink slime was coined in 2002 by Gerald Zirnstein, who at that time was a microbiologist for the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service,[7] but some state officials have objected to the nickname, saying that "lean, finely textured beef is the proper name."[11]
In the United States, the additive itself cannot legally be sold directly to consumers, but can constitute up to 15% of ground beef without additional labeling,[9] and can also be added to other meat products such as beef-based processed meats.[9] Prior to the invention of the disinfection process, beef scraps could only be sold as pet food or as an ingredient for cooking oil.[4]
http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/pinkslime-ammonia-ground-beef.htm But that's not all! See, the problem when you turn garbage bits of animal carcasses into "pink slime" to sell as a food product is that there's an issue with pathogens, such as E. coli. And when samples of the pink slime were tested, the tests came back showing that the slime was rampant with harmful bacteria. Now, one might think that the best idea would be to decide not to sell pink slime to feed to humans, but there's no money in that, is there? So BPI cleverly started disinfecting the slime with ammonia. And convinced the FDA to allow them to list it as a "processing ingredient" so that we wouldn't know we were eating ammonia.
We're eating garbage, people. Literally -- garbage that's been "cleaned up" with ammonia and sold to us mixed with ground beef, shrink wrapped for convenience at our local megamart.
Add pictures here
βœ–

to boiling off the fat. We aren't eating ammonia as it was long gone before being added. BTW: If we decided not to sell beef because of e. coli there would be a whole lot more stuff not on sale. The temporary addition of something that only increased the pH and killed the nasties should be touted as a good thing.

βœ–
gonjah <gonjah.net> wrote:

processed ground beef or mechanically enhanced ground beef or chemically enhanced ground beef
or
ground beef with material previously used as dog food (which in no way is meant to demean dog food)
Add pictures here
βœ–

it's the free market at work. gotta love how that happens. In any event, this is the best thing that ever happened to the cattle producers
Add pictures here
βœ–

then you have to ask yourself why there is no such thing on the current consumer marketplace consisting totally of pink slime, or even just a large majority. It would be good for us and much cheaper
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 17:08:43 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

That reminds of hamburger helper.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkExpbnjsX8

--
Vic

Add pictures here
βœ–

sure, they could just sell the pink slime as hamburger helper
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Apr 24, 8:11 pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-

Yeah, spoken like a true lib loon.

Thanks for proving my point. Nothing there says it's the law. In fact they say this:
"In March 2012 the GAO issed a new report: HEALTHCARE PRICE TRANSPARENCY: Meaningful Price Information Is Difficult for Consumers to Obtain Prior to Receiving Care—In this report GAO examined (1) how various factors affect the availability of health care price information for consumers and (2) the information selected public and private health care price transparency initiatives make available to consumers. "
Apparently you don't understand the difference between proposals, pending legislation, law and what is actually going on. Show me a hospital in NJ that has a website that shows their prices for routine procedures and services.
Add pictures here
βœ–

as long as the wind blows east to west
It's the law in CA, I gave the cite. The fact that the hospitals don't follow the law is good news for republican lawyers. The cite I provided stated that the prices are posted on a CA.GOV site, but hospitals aren't as diligent with posting it on their sites.
Capiche?
Add pictures here
βœ–
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

That economist perhaps has not given it much thought.
When you shop for a car, you take the bad with the good, you don't buy an engine here, a transmission there, and a body somewhere else; you buy a finished product (perhaps you don't like the particular transmission, but you like the engine and the body, so you buy the car).
In a free market, you would shop the same way for health insurance. One plan might have high co-payments, but lower premiums. Another might cover elective surgery, while others might not. One might cover preexisting conditions, while others don't. So you pick the one that best suits your needs (and part of that is a crap-shoot, because you don't really know what your future needs will be).
The problem is that some people will not buy insurance, either because they like to gamble, or they lack money. When these people need care, the medical community is ethically bound to provide it, and someone else gets stuck paying for it. So how do we solve this problem? Perhaps a government program to pay the costs, and require some sort of public service by the non-insured to make up the loss.
To me, a major problem with health care is that the government, through mediwhatever, is the biggest insurer, and dictates how much they will pay and what procedures they will cover. If the actual cost of a procedure is $500, the government can pay $100, and require that the provider accept that as full payment. (Other insurers act pretty much the same way). The government also requires that the full $500 be billed to everyone, so if you don't have insurance, you are on the hook for the full $500, unless the provider writes it off as a bad debt or a charitable act. And of course the government programs do not have to answer to shareholders, so they can run up huge losses with impunity. Private insurers have to be profitable, or they go out of business. And if they mistreat the policy holder, they can be sued; the government is generally immune to being sued.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 4/24/2012 7:56 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Drive in discount surgery? ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–
Have the surgery done at doc in the box? Hey, discount surgery sounds interesting.

Drive in discount surgery? ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 05:56:09 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

About five years ago my doctor wanted me to do a "sleep study". I thought was a waste of time and money, so asked how much it would cost. No one would (could) tell me how much it would cost; "why do you care, your insurance will pay for it". I finally did it but it was a waste of money and I still don't know what it cost.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I had that done as part of a research study - it didn't cost me anything. As expected, it was not too helpful because I don't have sleep apnea, just wake up too many times, probably not related either to the bit of BPH I have.
--
Best regards
Han
On 4/24/2012 4:20 PM, Han wrote:

Heck, Mr. Bladder wakes me up with an average 16oz/475cc purge. When I take HCTZ it can be 20oz/600cc. Last year I had severe edema and after getting on HCTZ and Lisinopril, I lost 50lbs in two weeks for a total of 60lbs in one month. I asked my roommate, "Does this edema make my butt look big?" ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–

Only take hydrochlorothiazide in the morning ... And thanks for the TMI on the volumes.
--
Best regards
Han
On 4/25/2012 6:39 AM, Han wrote:

My doctor friend who helps me wanted me to keep track of urine volume. Another physician who I think is a quack because of his assumptions told me I had kidney disease so I keep a close eye on kidney function. Most folks have no clue as to the volume of liquid that goes through them in a normal day. I sweat like a thunderstorm in hot weather and you can always tell where I've been standing while I work on something at a job site because of the puddle on the floor. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–

Good luck! Stay healthy, or as healthy as you can!
--
Best regards
Han
On 4/26/2012 7:18 AM, Han wrote:

Thanks, I've been pushing pretty hard and it makes every square inch of me hurt. I'm one of the invisible work force of the disabled who receive no help from government. I work with a half dozen and know many more. We can't hold a normal job because we never know when we are able to work so we work as hard as we can when we can. The P.L.L.C.F. would be stunned if they knew how many of us exist and refuse to go on the dole even though we're told of the riches we are "entitled" to but refuse to even ask for. If you handed me a welfare check, I'd spit in it, wad it up and throw it back in your face. Me and my friends will work for what we get and refuse to be wards of The State. We take care of ourselves as best we can and at the end of the day, we have a sense of accomplishment and pride because we can survive without anyone propping us up. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–