OT sour grapes on the 4th of July

Page 1 of 2
I never would have thought myself saying or thinking this, but I'll be glad when fireworks are outlawed in my part of the country.
I live in the county not the city, so everything's legal, and with about 5 indian reservations around us that pretty well guarentees that the 1,2,3, and 4th will sound like an artillery duel. So I'm hold up inside, sicker than a dog from some fricking head cold, wishing the kids next door would accidentially put their eye out with those bottle rockets they have in the hundreds. Meanwhile my cat is hold up between the first and basement floors in a little hidehole he dug out between the furnace in the basement. And I can look forward to a big big display right in front of my house tonight as typically the neighbors will spend about 3 to 400 bucks each on fireworks. and shoot them off literally in front of my house. Personally I'll probably go sit on the patio and watch them, but I do have to get up at 4 tommorrow for work so when I go to bed they'll still be unloading from the cassion until well after 1. Then of course I have to clean up the mess, as most of it will land in my yard.
It's not like I'll call the cops or something, that'll be a sure fire way to get a goat's head on my doorstep. Who'd ever thought I holiday I used to love would be such a pain in the ass as soon as I became a homeowner?
Eigenvector wrote in message

I can't tell you how much I agree with you. Fireworks are outlawed where I live, but you'd be surprised how many are set off. I almost think they're worse because of the trying to hide them factor (close to buildings etc.) Last year, the neighborhood kids set fire to stacks and stacks of flattened cardboard boxes. All those burning ashes landing on roofs, and all over the yards. Geez, what a mess. Our town has a really nice town picnic at a lake, and really nice fireworks in the evening. I wish they'd all go there. I don't want to ruin fun, but damnit...I don't want my house burned down either, and my poor dog is just beside herself. Hope you feel better soon.
Cheri
Yeah, why don't we just ban going outside altogether? Jeeeze... Celebrate independence by banning things.
--
Steve Barker

"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:

We're in a county that has banned them -- not that it makes much difference since the OK line is only 2 miles away, they just set up shop over there...
We had only four(!) fires day before yesterday from the "drive-by-hold-the-Roman-candle-out-the-window" doofus'es. :(
Just some of the native grass on ours, but cash hay ground of the neighbors and almost got into his windbreak trees but we were able to keep it out until county got the trucks out. Fortunately they either ran out before they got there or at least knew enough to not set the uncut wheat off.
GOT to do something about the border or if not at least figure out how to housebreak them if they're going to keep coming... :(

Yeah I can understand why they outlawed them if you have wheat and hay fields. I used to work the wheat fields in Walla Walla Wa and have had to deal with a couple field fires. Walla Walla did absolutely ban all fireworks last I was there, and if the farmers caught you with one they'd string you up.
Eigenvector wrote:

It's that it got to where there were so many fires and "accidents" that it was simply impossible for the county to keep up. We have large areas of grass plus the wheat (normally it would all or nearly all be cut by the Fourth, but this year the early rains have really strung harvest time out by nearly a month). So, they just outlawed them county-wide.
Well, we at least got through yesterday and last night w/ no more incidents around us. Spent the day and fairly late in the night watching the road traffic and kept the truck parked in the driveway by the road until went to bed to try to discourage those who might dally on their way to/from somewhere else...the incidence rate will drop now gradually until a spike over the coming weekend as they get rid of what they've got left over until the end of the year two-week stretch...
And, unfortunately, the front left us dry again w/ all the rains east and south where, for the most part, they're already flooded... :(

dpb wrote:

Around here everything is so wet that you couldn't start a fire of any significance with a flame thrower, much less stray embers from consumer fireworks. I'll be launching some assorted pyrotechnics this evening.
Pete C. wrote:

We're west of there...at least the earlier wet weather has left things somewhat green so far, but we're needing it now. Trying today, but looks like the front is already too far east from where things are firing up so far this afternoon...

Here's a freak fireworks accident resulting in death...
    http://www.willistonobserver.com/articles/article7.html
Eigenvector wrote:

For thousands of years, in almost every society, loud noises were believed to ward off evil spirits. On special days - such as the Chinese New Year - drums, fireworks, or just plain yelling, was effacious in guaranteeing a properous future.
I'm not saying the banning of fireworks is the cause of society's moral decay, but there is a correlation...

How funny. Thanks for the chuckle.
Cheri

I think it's VCRs and MP3 players. Ever since they've had those things, morality has gone to pot.

If they were leaving their crap for me to clean up,damn sure I would call the cops on them.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

though I do think it's crap.
On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 16:39:54 -0700, "Eigenvector"

I guess it's too late now, but if you were sure they wouldn't burn your house down while you were gone, you could go to a motel, if you were sure there wouldn't be fireworks there too.
You could go to Cuba, via Mexico. I don't think they celebrate July 4th there.

I agree. I'd rather have that one day a year than some of the neighbors cutting their grass on Sunday at dinner time when we'd like to relax and have a meal with friends out on the deck. The worst offender is retired and home all day, seven days a week, but runs the friggin tractor over the same spot at least three times, always on Sunday evening.
wrote in message

on a weekday. I can't imagine what the attraction is, would 7 pm be too much for him to endure?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

next year. The moron who lets their dog bark for 4 hours/day and the grass cutting at dinner are what drive me nuts.

why aren't your neighbors doing this in front of their own homes?
and who's going to know WHO called the cops?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote: ...

Who was the only Anglo in the area not participating in the action? IIUC, there are only a half-dozen or so in the neighborhood...