OT sort of; bottled water

Page 1 of 5
So at least one bottled water company admitted today that they use tap water. I forget its name, wikipedia or something, but iiuc they've only changed their label to say p.w.s. on the bottles, which most people still won't know stands for public water source.
Someone from the water industry, maybe this company, was interviewed on the evening news, and he said that the water was processed in 7 stages, including reverse osmosis, ozification, something I forget, and distillation.
Distillation is the one I don't get? First, it would cost a lot of money to steam distill all the water, and steam distillation is the only distillation that meets the def. of distillation, afaik (not counting natural evaporation and rain). Second, it takes all the good tasting minerals out of the water.
So what sort of distillation are they talking about? Or are they pulling our legs?
I figure this is partly on topic because you guys are always talking about well water and hard water and doing all kinds of things to it.

Aqua Fina a division of Pepsi.
Cheri
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 20:08:16 -0700, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

That's it. Somehow Aqua Fina reminds me of wikipedia. The i, the k sound, the f/p sounds (which some languages treat as similar, including English (ph=f for some reason.)) Thanks.
Disani is another one that is tap water.

Aquafina and Dasani are made from concentrate. They take tap water, remove all the minerals and then add back exactly what they want. It's the same philosophy that they use for cola. The manufacturer ships concentrate across the country instead of shipping water. Coke is made from tap water too. Big deal.
Cam

Say what? Concentrate? Powdered water? That's ridiculous!

Concentrated water. Right. I respectfully challenge your assertion and counter that, indeed, "whole" undiluted (huh?) water is shipped - in those little bottles - all across the country.

Now THAT does involved concentrate. It's called syrup. It's mixed with LOCAL, purified, carbonated water at various bottling plants nation/worldwide before distribution.
Concentrated water. Hehehehehehehe!
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs wrote:

Mayve he meant neavy water? Yikes!
Tony Hwang wrote:

A story worth reading....
http://www.damninteresting.com/?p 8
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
on 7/30/2007 7:21 PM Jeff Wisnia said the following:

Saw the movie. "The Heroes of Telemark" 1965. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059263 /
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The concentrate is the mixture of minerals that give the water it's taste. It is mostly Magnesium Sulfate and Potassium Chloride. That concentrate is mixed with local, purified water at various bottling plants nation/worldwide before distribution just like Coke and Pepsi.
Cam

They used to say P.W.S. Now it will say public water source.

including RO, distillation, and filtration. Distillation and RO will remove all the minerals, but they add them back afterwards. They all cost money, but given that the materials are nearly free, the profit margin is incredible. The public is outraged over $3/gal gas, but will pay that much for a quart of water without complaint. I can't tell it from tap water, but that's just me.

Dasani... taste great! :-)

Bacteria
It's not wise to reuse a bottle for a prolong time by refilling it!!

I suppose you could wash it out. I have dishes I have been using for years and I haven't fallen down puking.
I've got silverware and dishes that are at least 10 years old.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

bottles ain't dropping like flies, which means you, yet again, don't have any idea what you are spewing about.
No surprise that, though.
Dishwasher. Bottle scrub brush.
Bacteria are not an issue.

No Jim, you are deliberately misinterpreting his comments.
Do you really feel that strongly about bottled water?
Eigenvector wrote:
SNIP HAPPENS

No, I don't think so. Kjpro is making his usual unsupported sweeoping claims on a subject he knows nothing about. I merely pointed out that he is, as usual, blowing smoke. Hundreds of thousands of folks reuse water bottles every day in the US without adverse health effects.
Do you think that if there were documented adverse health effects from refilling disposable water bottles that the folks at dasani et al wouldn'rt be "warning" the publiu loudly to ot do it so as to pump up their sales of new sealed bottles?

reus the bottles is wasting money and resources. Their hoice, but its a silly choice.

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

You mean tap water is free?

So cheap that the only reason they meter it is so they can charge you for the chemicals they put in. Ever figure the cost per gallon? It's cheaper than dirt!
sdb
--
What\'s seen on your screen? http://PcScreenWatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com