OT - Small Cable Reel Uses

I have two small plastic and cardboard cable reels, 12" od, 4" id, 10" tall. The center 4" tube is made of heavy cardboard, the outer- ends are made of plastic. Two long bolts hold the two ends to the center tube. I hate to just throw them away, not into the recycle bin, as I am positive they are not #1 or #2 plastic which is all our recycle folks will take.
I am pretty handy and would appreciate any reasonable ideas folks have for reusing these cable reels

I use them to wind stuff on...long extension cords, rope...
--

dadiOH